Boot Leak

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

RPSN wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:33 pm
Cluck wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:22 am ^^^ FWIW, mine are fitted like yours RSPN
Thanks Cluck.

Although the drain hole position on yours is the same as mine (further away from the bump stop) I can also see that the drain plug rubber seal fits to the outside of the tailgate plastic trim (mine currently goes inside it) so I’ll do the same. There does appear to be a mark on mine where the rubber seal was fitted the same way as yours at some point in the past.
I've just been out to have a look at mine and as far as I can tell I don't think the orientation as to where the hole is should really matter... or at least I hope not.
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

The only thing I can see is that with the rear deployable spoiler drain plug hole positioned the same as Cluck’s and mine (further away from the bump stop) it aligns up more or less directly above the drain hole in the plastic channel below it when the boot is closed. I’ve circled this in my pic below....

1.JPG

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

RPSN wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:58 pm The only thing I can see is that with the rear deployable spoiler drain plug hole positioned the same as Cluck’s and mine (further away from the bump stop) it aligns up more or less directly above the drain hole in the plastic channel below it when the boot is closed. I’ve circled this in my pic below....
Which is true. But ultimately if it comes through in the other orientation it's still going out the same hole. Just a slightly less direct route.
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

stefan9107 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:10 pm Which is true. But ultimately if it comes through in the other orientation it's still going out the same hole. Just a slightly less direct route.
Yes, I don’t think it makes much difference. However, the manufacturer seems to have positioned the drain plugs in the opposite orientation to yours for a reason. Maybe due to what I mentioned in my previous reply i.e. it aligns up more or less directly above the drain hole in the plastic channel below it when the boot is closed.

Here's another F-Type Coupe pic I found which shows the position of the drain plug.....

1.jpg

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

Cluck wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:59 am I'm going to tackle this myself this week, as we have a few dry days (albeit a bit cold). I have long noticed a drip and line of water coming from the LHS roof airbag area when washing the car and took a look under the boot tubs the other day to find a pool of water (not deep enough to really cause a concern to components, but it certainly shouldn't have been there.

The 3M glue that is mentioned a few posts earlier doesn't seem to be readily available in the UK (at least 2 sites I checked specifically stated that it was not for export outside of the USA), so I've ordered up some clear sealant and double-sided tape

The sealant is GRANVILLE GV0374 Silicone Sealant, 40 g, Clear
The tape is Scotch-Fix Exterior Mounting Tape 411-1950-P

I'll report back once it's done and I've washed the car, looking for the tell-tale run of water on the horizontal surface behind the LHS seat
I promised I'd report back. The weather has been shocking down here and I've not really driven the car a huge amount, so it's only had a few light bucket washes until this week. With the car going in for it's 4th service and 2nd MOT yesterday, I gave it a proper blast down and was very happy to see absolutely no water on the panel behind the passenger seat, nor in the bottom of the boot. My thanks to everybody on the thread for the various tips.
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
CSGMART

Post by CSGMART »

Good to hear.
2018 V6 (380) F Type Convertible
Yulong White / Black Roof / Black Vents
Gyrodyne Wheels

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post