Which V8 F Type is best

Anything F-Type related......
Cliffedge

Post by Cliffedge »

Hi all

This is my first post on here. I have a TVR Tuscan which I’m thinking about selling to get a V8 F Type, I was originally looking towards the SVR version but someone told me not to get an SVR but instead get the next power version down as they are more drivable. Also not to get one after 2017 as Jaguar messed around with the exhaust filters and so they don’t sound so good.

Can anyone advice me which is the best model to go for, I don’t really want to go lower than the 542BHP version as I want to go for 0-60 time in sub 3.9 seconds to match the TVR?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

elugelab

Post by elugelab »

Your criteria really only leave you with two options, F Type R either RWD or AWD.

The SVR is AWD only. It's perfectly driveable and no more of an animal than the standard R AWD. The RWD is a bit of an animal - not best for 0-60, more of a drivers car for those that like a challenge!
MY16 IRR V8R RWD Coupe
BMW F31 340i
davidd

Post by davidd »

I think a v8r will be faster 0-60 than a tuscan but probably won't feel it as the tuscan is always going to feel more raw.

SVR will be great, V8R will be great, neither will thrill in quite the way a TVR can but they are easier to live with.
Aim for a 2016 and you'll have plenty of noise or get a later one and get the back box modded.

Cheers D (ex 1600m, Griff 500, Cerbera 3.2, Cerbera 4.5LW, still fancy a tuscan).
Cliffedge

Post by Cliffedge »

Thanks elugelab and davidd that’s very helpful, my Tuscan is one of the last mk3 S made with a standard 400bhp and just over 1.1ton with a TVR quoted 0-60 of 3.6, but as you say is very raw. In my older age I’m looking for something more sophisticated but still has the noise, grunt and excitement.

My everyday road car is a Jag XE S with an uprated 400hp v6 which I love, hence wanting a v8 f-type to replace the Tuscan.

One consideration is the SVR but I’ve heard the road tax is around £675pa is that right?
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

Cliffedge wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:28 pm Thanks elugelab and davidd that’s very helpful, my Tuscan is one of the last mk3 S made with a standard 400bhp and just over 1.1ton with a TVR quoted 0-60 of 3.6, but as you say is very raw. In my older age I’m looking for something more sophisticated but still has the noise, grunt and excitement.

My everyday road car is a Jag XE S with an uprated 400hp v6 which I love, hence wanting a v8 f-type to replace the Tuscan.

One consideration is the SVR but I’ve heard the road tax is around £675pa is that right?
That road tax figure will be the same for any pre-March 2017 V8 I believe. Mine is a MY16 R AWD and it's £675 as well.
After that date the tax system changed so it would only be £180 per year, but if you go too late a year you will pick up the additional luxury car tax that hangs around for 6 years from new.
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
Tom Sawyer

Post by Tom Sawyer »

I went from Tamora to V8S as I wanted to retain open top motoring and RWD, the Jag is a lot quicker than the Tam was in all gears, and now it’s had a bit of engine work faster than Cerb 4.5LW I owned before (obviously not really a LW).
Unlike TVR, Jag appear to understate their power figures as mine actually did 535bhp as opposed to the stated 495bhp.
Road tax is hefty though at over £650 a year
V8S
Lunar Grey
Viezu Upper Pulley & Remap
596bhp
587lbs/ft / 796Nm
Dynamic Dek

Post by Dynamic Dek »

Don't exclude the facelift versions.
I have a V8 RWD P450 and with the exhaust valve fuse removed (Fuse 15) it produces more than enough noise.
If you don't mind a remap, this can be done very easily to give you ~600bhp.

Mine has the heated and cooled seats, not something I would have spec'd but bliss in summer.
The facelist has the more up to date infotainment.
My daily is a P250 XE. Your XE S at 400 must be a lot of fun :-)
P450 21MY Firenze Red
Cliffedge

Post by Cliffedge »

Many thanks all, that’s very useful information.
Dynamic Dek, I will consider the P450 as well I like the wider screen sat nav on the later models. Is the road tax still as high on the P450 or does it get reduced after five years from April 2017 versions?
davidls

Post by davidls »

P450 and P575 facelifts are £190 a year tax, however watch out for the luxury car supplement. Applies for 5 years from the 2nd years tax onwards.
MY21 F-Type R P575 AWD Coupe. Portofino Blue, panoramic roof, exterior black design pack, climate pack, Meridian surround sound system, privacy glass.
jagseven

Post by jagseven »

Don’t get too hung up on road tax - compared to insurance, servicing and the big one - depreciation (especially on a newer car) - road tax shouldn’t be a big deciding factor.
Having said that my SVR road tax has just reduced to £180 which was a nice surprise - helps pay for a few tanks of fuel!
The wider screen sat nav came in on 2019MY cars so you don’t need to get a facelift car for that alone.
Enjoy the search and test drive some alternatives to work out what’s really important to you (for a given budget).
2019MY F-Type SVR - for fun
2019MY F-Pace SVR - for family duties

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post