Union Jack

Post pictures of your Jaguar FType here!
Daflux

Post by Daflux »

That is my local dealership in Coventry and I know the salesman Anthony a nice guy!!

Is that your new IRR then are you in Coventry also?

Indeed, very friendly and helpful guy!

And yes that's my IRR. Coventry is my nearest dealership to my hometown of Rugby though I spend most of my time up in Scotland. I do come back often though!
Daflux // 2014 'R' Coupe //

benji-m

Post by benji-m »

Thought I'd share a bit of Best of British with you all... awesome WWII airfield near us, and just couldn't resist.

2015 Coupe V6S, Glacier White, Black Design Pack, 20" Gyrodyne's, Carbon Mirrors, Pan roof, Performance Seats, Switchable Exhaust + few custom additions.
Daflux

Post by Daflux »

That's an awesome shot, Benji! I need to find somewhere interesting like that near where I live!
Daflux // 2014 'R' Coupe //
Big Bri

Post by Big Bri »

I eventually found some artwork and a print company at a decent rate. I chose two versions and got them printed on one sheet (now cut into two) the right hand side B&W is just a paper template. I got them from stickers.signprint.co.uk and it only cost £12.59 for the pair including design and P&P. Now the decision is which of the two versions to use on the spoiler. any thoughts?
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

Hi Big Bri,
Sounds like you've been busy! Very good.

I had a closer look at the underside of the spoiler (convertible not coupe) and I realise that it's not all that easy to get a perfect solution to this task because the underside surface isn't a smooth clean form. It has various quite pronounced grooves running across the surface, so the graphic might not look acceptable if it is following this distorted surface, plus it will be quite a challenge to get the decal to flow into the grooves without creating air pockets and creases etc..

The second issue is the aspect ratio of the image. The spoiler is wide but not tall, plus it is sitting at an angle so it's not viewed straight on therefore there will be considerable foreshortening of the image.

My conclusion (so far) is that the Union Jack needs to be very stretched out (left to right) in order for it to work well. Just to be clear...I'm thinking that the flag is completely covering the underside surfaces between the two support linkages.

I think either of your styles could work, but it's the aspect ratio of your graphic that's giving me cause for concern.
2014 V6s convertible Rhodium Silver with Propeller alloys & black interior.
Big Bri

Post by Big Bri »

Good points Jagster.
The grooves and curves are on the coupe as well so it will be a bit tricky but I'm going to give it a go this evening / Saturday.
The aspect ratio was probably my greatest concern. I did 'stretch' the flags in my artwork to try and take account. The reality is I'm not even sure the underside of the spoiler is all that visible when deployed as it's quite low down and does not raise all that far.
But at a £12 investment it's worth a punt just to see what it looks like. If it's a bit naff - then it's coming off.
I will send pictures once it's on
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

Ok Big Bri....Give it a go. Nothing to lose.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with, although i'm away on an 'off grid' holiday from Saturday evening, so I might not be able to give any reply for a week or so.
steveh

Post by steveh »

I have been watching this with interest Brian, looking forward to seeing the result. Not sure if the flag would work on my red car, would look good on silver though. An alternative would be an image of a big cat, a Jaguar of course. Speaking of cats how's Rory settling in? I am sure he is being sufficiently spoilt. 😺
Steve.
V6S coupe, Italian Racing Red with Ivory interior.
Big Bri

Post by Big Bri »

Ok Task completed. With luck I can attach a before and after image of the Union flag.
Worked out not too bad. I tried to replicate the height it would be seen at - I may jump in the other car and take a photo from the drivers seat just to see how it looks.
Pretty happy with the end result though.
The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

Ah! You've used the top half of the Union Jack.
Smart move. Looks like a very credible solution to the problem of foreshortening.

I had a bit of time to look again at the spoiler on my convertible and I came to the conclusion that the underside of the spoiler looks untidy (my car is Rhodium Silver also) because of the fiddly contrasting areas like the lift bracket, and buffer screws etc..., so i'm planning to get the underside surfaces sprayed in satin/mat black prior to adding any graphic to the underside surface.
I think it will look cleaner, sharper and give the decal more definition.

Nice one Bri Thumbs Up.......at the scale that you have mage it, i'm now wondering if the faded/weathered Union Jack will look more fun.....what do you think?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post