Endless Problems with F-Type - fed up!

Anything F-Type related......
jamestc989

Post by jamestc989 »

Hello,

I thought I would post my experience with my car to see if anyone else has had similar issues and also to perhaps warn some prospective buyers. I've owned my 13 plate V8S now for about a year and when it's working, it's great. It's my first ever proper sports car and have had some great fun in it, despite the big hole it burns in my wallet!

However, at the same time this is perhaps the most unreliable, problematic car i've ever owned and as a result I think it's put me off ever purchasing such an expensive vehicle from Jaguar Land Rover again. I had less faults with my first car 8 years ago (a 10 year old Peugeot 306 with 80K on the clock!).

Faults/issues so far:
  • Stranded in the middle of London because the car would not go into gear (wouldn't select Drive). Had to call out Jag Assistance. Turned out to be a fault in the software and the car was in the garage a couple of days to fix.
  • Driving down the motorway, the Driver's side wiper blade arm completely failed and went limp. Nearly went into the side of the car in the lane next to me when this happened as I couldn't see! Called Jag Assist again and he immediately found that the bolt holding the arm of the wiper was so loose it nearly came off, so the fix was just to tighten it.
  • Whirring noise in the cockpit at 5mph. This went into the garage the first time and was dismissed as a "normal" noise for the car. It isn't and after research found out there was a bulletin on this and it was due to a faulty Fuel Pump. Back into the dealer again to replace the Fuel Pump.
  • External squeaking noise when driving at 20mph. Gave the car to the dealer again for another 2 days and they found it was the active exhaust valve. Solution they had was to lubricate the valve flap.
  • A couple of weeks later, the exact same noise happened. Car back to the dealer overnight and this time for several days whilst they ordered in a whole new exhaust system to fit.
  • 6 months after the exhaust system was all replaced, guess what... the squeaking noise has begun again, this time at 10mph. Back in overnight to the dealer to put more grease on it. No doubt this noise will begin again soon.
  • Not yet fixed - the central locking has now completely broken on the driver's side. When pressing the unlock button, the door handle pops open fine. When getting out of the car to unlock, if you tap the door handle to lock the car, it will not go in and will not lock from the drivers side - it does however on the passenger side with no problems. It's not looking like there's an issue with the fob/battery.
  • Not yet fixed - driving back this evening, I put the car in to reverse and there was a loud beeping noise from the touch Screen and a message saying "Parking Aid Failed, please contact your Dealer". Possibly the most irritating issue yet because my space to park in is very tight and you have to reverse in... you cannot reverse these cars without the sensors and camera as there's next to no rear visibility!
For the amount of money this car cost - over £90k with all the extras, I cannot believe how many issues there have been with it, not to mention the absurd level of depreciation on it.

Aside from sell it imminently (warranty is about to run out) which ideally I don't want to have to, does anyone have any advise on how to approach this with Jaguar? The amount of time spent in their courtesy cars, driving back and fourth to the garage and time lost actually being able to use the car is a joke. I was looking into purchasing a Vogue Autobiography in the next few months... if this experience is anything to go buy I think it's going to be a Porsche instead.

Tuxman

Post by Tuxman »

Sometimes these things happen , pay the extended warranty and stick at it , you will get there in the end .
Tel

Post by Tel »

Sorry to hear James. Been there, got the T-Shirt!
Quite a few people, including ourselves have been through the routine of getting a replacement car.

A phone call to the financial Ombudsman is your next move. They will let you know what you can/can't do.
Then it is up to you, reject and refund or replacement, up to you.

It sounds like you have/had a lemon. Make sure you have everything documented, keep your cool and forge ahead to get what YOU require.

Unfortunately the early cars, like any manufacturer, are full of niggles, unless you get lucky. I have learnt my lesson; when a new car comes out....don't touch it until it is at leaf 2 years old and the problem have been mainly ironed out!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
jamestc989

Post by jamestc989 »

Thanks for the reply! I was pretty naive in thinking most of the major issues would have been ironed out after the car had been around for a year and a half.

In terms of Financial Ombudsman, I'm not sure I would have anything on this? I purchased via business hire purchase and bought privately? Such a shame as it's otherwise a gem - fully spec'd out!

Tel

Post by Tel »

No problem - Sounds like you might be at the sticky end of the wicket unfortunately.

The active exhaust flap valves are a known issue, and there is a defiler fix for this - they replace as in your case, however the replacement should still be under warranty, so therefore can be replaced again.

Central locking - This is down to the actuator/ solenoid failing. This is also a known issue. No fix, the dealer replaces the faulty solenoid.

Is does strike me that your software is causing a few issues. First off I would, disconnect the positive not he battery and leave it for a few minutes. That will force a reset onto the system and may clear the issues...worth a try as it's a simple on to do. remember though you will have to reset the window limits which is also easy peasy.

Many people have experienced some if not all of the problems that you are, but FWIW, at least once all the niggles are sorted, you will have a fabulous car.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩