Retrofitting cruise control

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Richard101

Post by Richard101 »

Hi All, I have 2016 v6 base, which was speced without cruise control...

With the world going mad on average speed cameras ect this is something I would like to retrofit.

I've fitted a genuine steering wheel with all the cruise control buttons, however, this does not function nor do the normal menu buttons, however, paddles do which runs off the same wiring harness...

I'd imagine all I'd need now would be to enable this in the software? Can anyone shed any light on this or point me in the right direction?

Richard

The Jagster

Post by The Jagster »

Good luck with that one Richard.
I wouldn't have a clue i'm afraid but i'm interested to find out just out of curiosity.

...but what I can say is, that I have cruise control on mine and I use it a lot. It's definitely a useful feature...although, I have to say that i'm not particularly impressed by the action of the buttons or the shape and layout (ergonomics) of the buttons.
2014 V6s convertible Rhodium Silver with Propeller alloys & black interior.
philmayfield

Post by philmayfield »

I was told by the Nottingham dealership, then HA Fox now Stratstone, that It could't be done. It was when I first started looking at F types and was viewing a used V6 base. I thought it to be ridiculous that such a car would not have cruise as standard when it was a normal fitment on the most modest of cars. Jaguar are very wrong in charging for extras when they should be fitted as standard on such an upmarket car.
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

Partly it depends on the steering wheel you have in your car and it also needs some reprogramming.

The software and cables can be found on eBay - some better than others.

As it shares lots of components with the XF i'd say steer clear of doing it as I've heard some horror stories of people losing access to the car, keys not working anymore etc etc.

I've done such things on cars before, but i won't do it on this one - too risky.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.
MOz

Post by MOz »

Every time I've looked into this for numerous other cars the answer has been severely restrictive, expensive or just plain impossible.
V6S ragtop, Salsa Red, 20" Cyclones, extended black leather performance interior with red stitching and the finest exhaust note in motoring history.
aperture

Post by aperture »

You can find a functional description of the cruise control in Topix. I've included the salient information below. From this description it sounds to me like the hardware is likely there. Also considering that it is probably too costly/error prone/inconvineient to create a different wiring harness/hardware configuration for the many permutations of vehicle features - then, maybe, perhaps it's possible to modify the car configuration file (CCF). For this you'd need access to the JLR IDS (Diagnostic System) and a knowledge of the CCF encoding.

"The speed control switches are located on the right steering wheel switchpack. The switches are resistive ladder type switches which vary the resistance of a voltage signal sent to them. The resistive ladder is wired to a module within the right steering wheel switchpack. The signal is converted within the right steering wheel switchpack to LIN (Local Interconnect Network) bus signals and transmitted to the CJB via the clockspring. The CJB then send a message to the ECM via the HS CAN powertrain systems bus. In the event of the ECM logging a speed control switch fault DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code), fault finding should start at the steering wheel switchpack assembly and clockspring. The ECM diagnostic detects various failure types such as switchpack assembly hasn't provided an updated live counter, an incorrect checksum for the data received and switch stuck on detection."

Richard101

Post by Richard101 »

Thanks all for the input, sounds like my suspicions maybe correct...

Does anyone know of a company who'd be able to update the necessary programming.

I have found these guys, however, they want the car for a week and 2k which seems steep, in addition they are a along way from the Midlands!

http://m.cartronics.co.uk

Kind regards,

Richard
Richard101

Post by Richard101 »

Thanks all for the input, sounds like my suspicions maybe correct...

Does anyone know of a company who'd be able to update the necessary programming.

I have found these guys, however, they want the car for a week and 2k which seems steep, in addition they are a along way from the Midlands!

http://m.cartronics.co.uk

Kind regards,

Richard

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post