Project 7 Grill
Eibach Lowering Springs
Judd Model One 21" Rims
305/25/21 rears 265/30/21 fronts
Maxton design rear lip spoiler & rear diffuser splitters
Rear box delete, twin straight pipes fitted

M@r]{

Post by M@r]{ »

I think for those that do worry about fuel usage, they're doing a lot of commuting for example, then maybe now an F-Type is an option. Never had a company car so not 100% sure how it works, but wouldn't lower emissions make it a more viable company car?

So in my opinion its not fantastic, but it's certainly not a fail. For me personally, as an alternative to a V6 or V8 fun/weekend car, it doesn't come out well, but as an alternative to a 320 BMW or Audi A5 daily / work car? Definitely!!
=========================
MY2019 Mclaren 720s Performance
MY2006 Lotus Exige "GT3"
MY2008 Westfield Megablade Track Car
MY2012 VW Camper (the family getaway / track car tow vehicle)
MY2013 Range Rover Evoque (the missus car)
Tel

Post by Tel »

A complete flop by JLR in my opinion, however the sales figures will help paint the picture.

Trying too hard to compete with the likes of Porsche, but ending up with a mongrel like the Mustang 2.0L perhaps?

Why put a small engine in what is already quite a heavy car?
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I saw BMW go through the same challenges when they added a 4 cylinder to the previous 6 cyl line up. Of course many shouts about it not being a real sports car, underpowered, etc. but it made an easier entry, lower insurance, new market and was actually a more nimble car.

I see parallels with the F Type. No way a flop or a miss and a great car for those who have different requirements - emissions, economy, price, etc.
For me I have no issues if the extra volume makes the model viable, but I have an F Type not for practical reasons but for the big engine and noise it makes
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

In some markets cars over 2 litres are very heavily taxed which may have influenced the decision to produce this variant. From watching the review it seems OK to me, it's reasonably swift and they've had a pretty good stab at some exhaust noise. The price is set too close to the V6 though and I still think I'd be finding those few extra pennies for a full fat one. Would I have one in place of something else? Absolutely, after all it's still and F type and it looks magnificent. Although I'd like to see what the real world economy turns out to be, e.g. our 2 litre petrol XE averages 34mpg versus our F type V6 averaging 29mpg, so I wouldn't expect to see a meaningful saving at my 9000 miles a year. However, everyone has their own justification for buying a particular engine size. Wouldn't it be great if Jag also reintroduced a V12 at the opposite end of the range. Now that would put a big cat amongst the kittens.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

mickjaguar wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:11 pm Wouldn't it be great if Jag also reintroduced a V12 at the opposite end of the range. Now that would put a big cat amongst the kittens.
I'd like to see them do a diesel version.
Purely for the entertainment value on here !
:lol: :lol:
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Tel wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:44 pm A complete flop by JLR in my opinion, however the sales figures will help paint the picture.

Trying too hard to compete with the likes of Porsche, but ending up with a mongrel like the Mustang 2.0L perhaps?

Why put a small engine in what is already quite a heavy car?

Mustang 2.0L????

Ahh, do you mean the 2.3 EcoBoost that powers the Focus RS?

Whilst I would prefer the sound of a V8 there's nothing wrong with the smaller option for the right person - still adequate performance and can be breathed on to be mighty without the weight of a V8.

A bit like the BMW M4 - sounds very meh, but certainly performs.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
powerhouse

Post by powerhouse »

mickjaguar wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:11 pm In some markets cars over 2 litres are very heavily taxed which may have influenced the decision to produce this variant. From watching the review it seems OK to me, it's reasonably swift and they've had a pretty good stab at some exhaust noise. The price is set too close to the V6 though and I still think I'd be finding those few extra pennies for a full fat one. Would I have one in place of something else? Absolutely, after all it's still and F type and it looks magnificent. Although I'd like to see what the real world economy turns out to be, e.g. our 2 litre petrol XE averages 34mpg versus our F type V6 averaging 29mpg, so I wouldn't expect to see a meaningful saving at my 9000 miles a year. However, everyone has their own justification for buying a particular engine size. Wouldn't it be great if Jag also reintroduced a V12 at the opposite end of the range. Now that would put a big cat amongst the kittens.
Thing is i think the 3.0 in going to be pushed up by another £10,000. Here in Ireland , the 3.0 is €25,000 more expensive than the 2.0, the base 3.0 coupe 2017 price started at €95,000, bit more for 2018, different in other countries, the 5.0 coupe R AWD is an astonishing €169,950 here.
Caledra Red 2018 2.0 R Dynamic
Black Pack
Project 7 Grill
Eibach Lowering Springs
Judd Model One 21" Rims
305/25/21 rears 265/30/21 fronts
Maxton design rear lip spoiler & rear diffuser splitters
Rear box delete, twin straight pipes fitted
Perky33

Post by Perky33 »

Mine is fantastic!

Ok, so maybe it doesn’t make the same noise as the v engines, but it’s fast enough, handles well and makes me smile every time I start her up.
F Type Coupé, 2.0 R Dynamic
Caldera Red, Panoramic Roof plus extras...
Aitch

Post by Aitch »

Perky33 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:31 pm Mine is fantastic!

Ok, so maybe it doesn’t make the same noise as the v engines, but it’s fast enough, handles well and makes me smile every time I start her up.
And that's what it's all about. Each to their own. :)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post