Dead F Type!

Anything F-Type related......
Diabolik

Post by Diabolik »

On Thursday I had the MOT done on the car, drove back home and have not used the car since.

This evening I walked in to the garage to see the number plates lights flashing.

I tried to open the car with the remote but to no avail.
I then open the car with the key within the remote to connect the ctek to recharge the battery to hear the allarm going off after few minutes.

I could not open the boot to disconnect the battery and try and do a reeset and recharge the battery.

I will call the emergency number in the morning and see what they fucked up at the dealership.
MY17 V6 Coupe S, Ultimate /Santorini Black, Panoramic Roof, 20" wheels

steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

OOps. Hope you get it sorted. The price to pay for having a tech car. Oh the days of having a old bent key & some distributer points to adjust. Now all plug in diagnostics that invariably go wrong. Usually human error somewhere along the way.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
scm

Post by scm »

Sounds like the dreaded OBD disconnect issue - lots of posts about it on the US forum. Seems if you don't close the session properly before disconnecting the OBD cable the car won't shutdown properly, I think one symptom is the hazard warning light never going out. Affected people have worked out that the fix is to disconnect the negative battery lead for a few minutes and everything resets. Good luck getting it sorted out.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

I was having this discussion with Tel yesterday.
Mine did the same thing after its last MoT.
Tel has bought an OBD lock so it cannot be accessed.
Going that route myself.
The MoT tester uses the OBD to control the speed for the emission test, but doesn't need to he/she can just use the throttle pedal which would eliminate this issue.
Also no risk of the service technician updating any of the systems without me knowing.
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Can you not just jump the car using the connectors under the bonnet, once started you will get access to the boot?
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
scm

Post by scm »

JurassicF wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:54 am Can you not just jump the car using the connectors under the bonnet, once started you will get access to the boot?
Yep, that's the way to do it! :D
But it sounds like he already at least partianlly did it, hence the alarm going off. ;)
Diabolik

Post by Diabolik »

Thank you all for your replays.

I did try and connect to my ctek charger last night and after a while the alarm went off, so I disconnected and left it.

I explained the situation to the AA man this morning and he said it's not a good idea to disconnect the battery, as it would create more problems than it solved, and if I was going to disconnect the battery and reconnect it to make sure I was at a garage or that the AA was around.

He got it started and made me close and open with remote few times after starting the engine, and mentioned that the only other time he attended an F Type was something to do with the door handle not closing properly and drained the battery.

He tested the battery to see if it was charging ok and he said it was all fine in that respect.

I have left it on the trickle charger until tomorrow and then I will see what happens
scm

Post by scm »

Check that the hazard switch light doesn't stay illuminated (it may take quite a few minutes to extinguish under normal condirions) - that was one of the symptoms of impending doom. But if your battery has run down everything should have reset anyway.
Tel

Post by Tel »

Diabolik wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:11 pm
This evening I walked in to the garage to see the number plates lights flashing.
This doesn't quite add up....Number plates lights enabled would indicate that the main lights themselves had been left on, draining the battery.

The only caveat being that the Power module went into meltdown and just randomly enabled the number plate lights, but I think that is unlikely.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Diabolik

Post by Diabolik »

Hi Tel.
It is possible that the technician doing the mot left the lights on during the test, when I got home I was in a hurry and probably i didn't notice.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post