Rear tyres

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Jagman100

Post by Jagman100 »

Hi Stu,

No the Pilot Sport on my rears don’t have rim protection but my Conties on the front do, see photos just taken of both,

That said IMO the Pilot Sport are superior so don’t let that put you off,

I’ll certainly be putting Pilot Sport on the front in another couple of thousand miles probably when Costco run the next promotion,

Kind regards,

Steve

48C17FF9-FA47-4784-A022-53C2F1BE71DE.jpeg

D8E9FCB2-73B2-48E6-8427-9FDFB9B5A388.jpeg

2016 V8 R AWD Coupe Italian Racing Red, Black Alloys & Pano Roof

stucart

Post by stucart »

Thanks.
They 20's
It looks like there is some protection but not to the same degree as my PZero's or the Conti's. Oh well , looks as if i'm going have be very careful tomorrow onwards.
Regards
2014 V6s Roadster
Polaris White /Red Interior/Black Roof
20" Carbon Blades
Black Pack, + Every Option :D
Full REMUS Cat back system :lol:
scm

Post by scm »

I've never found that rim protectors protect the rims - they tend to be too flexible and let the rim protect the tyre! :(
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Chrissyg

Post by Chrissyg »

scm wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:48 pm I've never found that rim protectors protect the rims - they tend to be too flexible and let the rim protect the tyre! :(
Agreed for the most part. Might save the rim in a very slow manoeuvre, but not much use in normal situations..
20MY D240 RR Velar - Firenze Red
200tdi Defender 90
Ex-MOD SWB Series III Land Rover
basher

Post by basher »

I'm sure my new PS4Ss have more protection than my old P0s.

All my kerbing issues last year were at very low speed, so hopefully the new tyres will afford extra protection. 😉
Rhodium silver F-Type 400 Sport AWD coupe.

PB Brakes big brake kit: drilled & slotted rotors, big yellow calipers. 😁
stucart

Post by stucart »

Had the full set of MPS4's fitted today and on a careful initial spin of 20 miles on roads locally i've driven previously I can say the car feels a lot happier than it did before { didn't boot it too much as they need to time settle after fitting} feels definitely more planted than it did and a slight shimmy on steering wheel has gone {balance issue no doubt}.
Very impressed with Black Circles service and locally tyre place that fitted them ( they were careful and even washed the wheels before re fitting them without a air gun in sight, torqued up nuts correctly, even used Black balance weights om the black inner wheel rim)
Got 10% flash discount on the set as well when ordered them on Monday so Happy Bunny.
2014 V6s Roadster
Polaris White /Red Interior/Black Roof
20" Carbon Blades
Black Pack, + Every Option :D
Full REMUS Cat back system :lol:
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

No the Pilot Sport on my rears don’t have rim protection but my Conties on the front do, see photos just taken of both,
Sorry to contradict you, but your photo clearly shows the 4S with rim protector. Might be a different shape to other makes, but it's there in that the rubber is shaped to extend beyond the face of the rim

To confirm view the Michelin website that is clear in the spec.:

Premium design and rim protector
- Premium touch finish providing a velvet effect on the external sidewall.
- A deep rim protector
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Jagman100

Post by Jagman100 »

In my opinion a rim protector normally a V shaped section sitting higher than the rim, the 4S doesn’t have this, the wall is flat although slightly proud of the rim it’s not V shaped at the rim like the Contis so not giving as much protection, maybe it doesn’t come across so well in the photo.
scm

Post by scm »

Jagman100 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:09 pm In my opinion a rim protector normally a V shaped section sitting higher than the rim, the 4S doesn’t have this, the wall is flat although slightly proud of the rim it’s not V shaped at the rim like the Contis so not giving as much protection, maybe it doesn’t come across so well in the photo.
Ah, you admit it's not giving as much protection, so it is giving some, therefore it has rim protection. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Jagman100

Post by Jagman100 »

Not what I’d call rim protection but it’s obviously open to interpretation, I’m just giving my opinion and trying to help, the apex on the Contis are approx 1 cm proud of the rim and the 4S are only a couple of mm,

That said the 4S are a superior tyre anyway, like I’ve already said.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post