What to look at and inspect

Anything F-Type related......
vika01

Post by vika01 »

Hello

I am about to finally buy my dream car, an F-type R. I am from Sweden and the car is in Germany.
I have driven the V8 S way back in 2013 and V6 S but never an R. The car is a 2016 model year with AWD and only has 16000 km (9940 miles) on it with 1 owner.
But in general when I am there looking at the car I am about to buy what would you say are some things I must make sure are looking right?
Exterior wise and interior wise please. And if you have any other tips please feel free to advise me.
I am thinking I would make sure all electronic bits are working as they should etc.

The owner already sent me the VIN and I saw the service history was as it should be and the spec on Topix matched what was shown in the ad.

Inked$_57_LI.jpg

$_57.jpg

2016 F-type R AWD coupe. Italian Racing Red.
2012 XJ 3.0 diesel. Polaris White.

steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Brake disc condition, Rear sub frame braces for corrosion. Stone chips on bonnet front & bumper. Looks very nice in pics. At that mileage I doubt there will be any problems.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
vika01

Post by vika01 »

steviegtr wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:46 pm Brake disc condition, Rear sub frame braces for corrosion. Stone chips on bonnet front & bumper. Looks very nice in pics. At that mileage I doubt there will be any problems.
Thank you.
Jeasby

Post by Jeasby »

Look at the body panels and make sure they all align up. Especially the front panel matches the Bonnet and wheel arches. Mine was out. The garage has to reset. Jaguar said it was a common problem due to manufacture.
Check the spacing is equal between each panel. Some have a tendency to be too wide at one side and narrow at the other. No real issue. But one seen can’t be unseen.
2015 FType, R design body kit and skirts. Salsa Red
Love it!
vika01

Post by vika01 »

Jeasby wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:59 pm Look at the body panels and make sure they all align up. Especially the front panel matches the Bonnet and wheel arches. Mine was out. The garage has to reset. Jaguar said it was a common problem due to manufacture.
Check the spacing is equal between each panel. Some have a tendency to be too wide at one side and narrow at the other. No real issue. But one seen can’t be unseen.
Great, thanks. The ad has many photos and through what I’ve seen so far the car has very good body panel alignments.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Looks a beautiful car.

Most is the standard stuff o buying any car. Test it feels the gearbox, engine brakes, steering.
Vertical scratches in the glass - common on earlier cars and needs new window seals and glass
Exhaust valves for squeaks and they open and close. New box if they squeak

Given you're going a long way and it's expensive car I would test every switch and control. From audio to movement of seats, aircon, windows, various driving modes, It's a long drive home and expensive to find something doesn't work
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
scm

Post by scm »

cj10jeeper wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:33 pm Vertical scratches in the glass - common on earlier cars and needs new window seals and glass
To clarify - door window glass. ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

Good luck with trying every switch & function. I have had mine since March this year & still not sure of every function. Looks like you'll be getting a beauty.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
vika01

Post by vika01 »

Thank you for the answers.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

steviegtr wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:41 pm Good luck with trying every switch & function. I have had mine since March this year & still not sure of every function. Looks like you'll be getting a beauty.
My suggestion was 'switch and control', not 'function'. Clearly diving deep into those many sub functions is not realistic, rather just the main items that if they don't work will be expensive to sort out and not easy to drive back to Germany to resolve
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more