V8 RWD or AWD?

Anything F-Type related......
Siy

Post by Siy »

Beginning my hunt for an F-Type. Curious as to people’s experience and thoughts. Rear wheel drive or all wheel drive.

Pros / cons?

Is the AWD drive only available on the R model?

Appreciate your input.
Thanks
F-Type V8S Convertible, H&R Performance Springs dropping 30mm, 15mm Spacers and plenty of carbon! :)

vika01

Post by vika01 »

You can struggle to get grip even with the AWD. So imagine the RWD.
2016 F-type R AWD coupe. Italian Racing Red.
2012 XJ 3.0 diesel. Polaris White.
scm

Post by scm »

I think only the early models had RWD, since 2016(ish) they're all AWD. AWD is available on the V6 models, too, not sure about the 4-pot.
As others have said, RWD can be a bit of a handful so if you're a bit leery with the right foot you can get yourself in trouble quickly. The AWD feels very planted, much more so than my previous 2010 XKR.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Blakums

Post by Blakums »

Hello Sky,
I had a rwd F Type 400 Sport followed by an awd F Type SVR.
Probably stating the obvious but the SVR was far more grippy and less prone to spinning of the rear wheels. Also drove better during periods of light snow. Given the choice, I’d feel much more comfortable on awd.
Currently a McLaren 600LT Spider
Previously a Mc 570S Spider and an Ultra Blue SVR MY 19.5 with lots of goodies!
Er indoors has an MY21 Firenze red EPace HSE
steviegtr

Post by steviegtr »

All the above.
2017 f type 5.0 R AWD Glacier Pearl white Cabriolet
Sports seats 14way. Powerfold mirrors, Keyless. Hp Brakes, Split rims,
Heated screen. Meridian 380w.
Northnoble

Post by Northnoble »

How big are your b*lls......and do you really want to have great fun going sideways?

We can debate this to the cows come home...

AWD = Safe
RWD = Fun

Depends on your driver confidence and appetite for risk. Both are great fun, but for some, RWD is just too lairy, you pay your money and you take your choice. Personally If it's your daily driver, AWD every time, but as a toy, RWD!
Jaguar F-Type 5.0s Convertible - Italian Racing Red, Gloss black wheels and trim
Porsche Macan S
Ariel Atom 3 300
Lutondave

Post by Lutondave »

My experience says awd feels very rear biased and it's a big car to be getting out of shape!
Good advice above as depends on your previous experience and confidence in riding out the power of rwd.
Good hunting.
V6 S convertible 2013 black with silver trim and silver cyclones
V8 AWD convertible 2016 glacier white, black trim, black bonnet vents, black badges and black cyclones
scm

Post by scm »

Lutondave wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:23 pm My experience says awd feels very rear biased and it's a big car to be getting out of shape!
AIUI, the car is more or less rear wheel drive until it decides it needs a bit of a pull from the front. Anyone confirm or deny this?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Siy

Post by Siy »

Sounds like majority prefer AWD. Understandable I guess. I am used to reasonably high power through the two tears in my California, but rarely hear of traction issues in them. A little surprised so many feel the f type is so tail happy/struggles for traction with a heavy right foot.
Drove an AWD R tonight and it did feel very planted.
F-Type V8S Convertible, H&R Performance Springs dropping 30mm, 15mm Spacers and plenty of carbon! :)
Tel

Post by Tel »

Sounds like the majority of replies thus far are from AWD owners.

All depends on what YOU want from an F-Type.

I'm a for RWD only. I wanted a car that was fun to drive and commanded respect, that with practice and comittment could be mastered and would be rewarding. Also something that was built in limited numbers and a bit rarer, but the former being the most important point.

These are GT cars, not sports cars, and as such I wanted the best power to weight ratio for my money too.

Having had an SVR on long term loan (as we were contemplating changing from RWD to AWD) although the steering calibration felt tighter, the added weight from the front drive train made an already heavy nose, make the driving experience feel numb compared to its RWD brother. Being a skinflint I also didn't favour the extra cost of fluids, coupling/bushing wear and tyre wear that comes with the AWD setup.

Safety, RWD 'losing it' and all that B.S is commonly spouted by peeps that generally have read the exact same thing in other forums, and not surprisingly use it to justify their AWD purchase.

Neither variant is safe in the hands of soneone that has little experience of what type of drive train does what.

Do some research and read real drivers (with more experience than me) and see what their views are...
The F-Type is a smashing motor which ever guise you have it in... The series 1, as with the E Type is the prettiest of course 😉
Last edited by Tel on Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩