Jaguar Neutered My Exhaust!

Anything F-Type related......
stadidas

Post by stadidas »

I had my 400 Sport in for a service yesterday, and to my immense disappointment on the drive home, I discovered that Jaguar have decided to quieten down my active exhaust to the point where below 3000 rpm I can't even tell it's on anymore! My service summary includes the following line:

"CARRIED OUT RECALL H251 - INCONTROL TOUCH PRO"

Everything else on the summary looks normal, so has this "recall" update knackered my exhaust? And if so, is there anything I can do about it? Will Jaguar change it back for me?

I'm sure many of you are like me in that you drive an F-Type because, yes, they look amazing and drive beautifully, but the main reason is for the noise. And an F-Type without the noise is not an F-Type as far as I'm concerned! Any help will be gratefully appreciated.
400 Sport AWD Coupé, Santorini Black.

scm

Post by scm »

Is the lack of noise at low revs even in dymanic mode?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
stadidas

Post by stadidas »

scm wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:51 am Is the lack of noise at low revs even in dymanic mode?
Yes, even in dynamic mode. It used to be the case that if I was cruising along at 70 in dynamic mode I could hear the exhaust droning away nicely. If I then switched to comfort mode, the active exhaust would switch off and the droning would stop. Now, driving along at 70 in 8th gear in either dynamic or comfort mode makes no noise.
scm

Post by scm »

I'm not taking mine near a dealer then!
JurassicF

Post by JurassicF »

Presume an OBD lock would prohibit the dealer doing any upgrades/updates?
F-Type V6S convertible MY16
Glacier Pearlescent White
Red soft top
Red electric and heated sports seats
Black dash and door cards
Red belts
Flat bottom heated wheel
Sir Jagalot

Post by Sir Jagalot »

I had H251 InControl Touch Pro update on my 2017 F-Type and the excellent exhaust pops and crackles are still there. H251 is an update on the media module and any tuner will tell you that they can't access that part of the F-Type - they only access the ECU. There is a dealer update to quieten the exhaust on start-up, and that my be your issue. Whatever, they should have declared all updates and if they have, as I suspect, directly affected your exhaust note, tell them to sort it and return it as it was.
Blakums

Post by Blakums »

I had a brand new F Type SVR. When I took it home, after delivery, it sounded incredible! Having owned a 400 Sport, the noise was one of the main reasons I bought it. I was then told the software needed updating and, unknown to me, they did something which made it a lot quieter. It just wasn’t the same after that hence now I have moved on to McLaren. Bloody EU!
Currently a McLaren 600LT Spider
Previously a Mc 570S Spider and an Ultra Blue SVR MY 19.5 with lots of goodies!
Er indoors has an MY21 Firenze red EPace HSE
stadidas

Post by stadidas »

Thanks for the replies everyone. The startup sound is the same as it was, it's just driving it doesn't have the drama that it used to.
Sir Jagalot wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:42 pm Whatever, they should have declared all updates and if they have, as I suspect, directly affected your exhaust note, tell them to sort it and return it as it was.
I think that's what I'll have to do. Presumably I need to ask to speak to the service manager at the dealership and berate them until they agree to put it back how it was?
scm

Post by scm »

You might find they'll refuse to back it out if it's a Jaguar campaign that is deemed to be required.
stadidas

Post by stadidas »

scm wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:44 pm You might find they'll refuse to back it out if it's a Jaguar campaign that is deemed to be required.
Yes, that's what I'm concerned about. It looks from here that it is possible to get them to revert a change, but it's a huge pain in the arse. I wish I'd known about ODB locks before the service! I told them I didn't want a software update but they said it had to be done…

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post