Gear selector whirring noise

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Millwheel

Post by Millwheel »

My 8 month old P300 has started to make a whooshing/whirring noise for a second or so when I select drive/reverse/park from the selector lever. Sounds like some sort of servo. Gearbox functions normally in use with no error messages. With only 1800 miles on the clock I'm not happy. I will be going in Thursday to the dealer but, as forewarned is forearmed, has anyone else had a similar problem and had it properly diagnosed and fixed?

scm

Post by scm »

Could it be the EPB releasing/engaging?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
ml276

Post by ml276 »

have the same issue (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4066&p=39297#p39297)

I was pretty sure it wasnt there when i first got the time and appeared over time. but jaguar themselves in jan and an independant last month said its normal, so who knows. hasnt caused me any issues and have learnt to live with it
MY16 V6S Coupe Corris Grey
Millwheel

Post by Millwheel »

Many thanks for advice. Comforting it is not going to fall apart, but worrying that this kind of anomalous performance can happen in modern equipment built to stringent tolerances.
Millwheel

Post by Millwheel »

The car has now been to the dealer and they have changed the gear selector unit under warranty. It’s hard to notice much difference to be honest, though the whirring does seem a little more subdued. Perhaps it is coming from the body of the gearbox. The dealer checked the other F-types in the dealership and noticed that they all seem to have this noise to one degree or another, so it must be endemic. However my earlier V6 didn’t make any noise. Anyway the gearbox itself works perfectly so it’s just another quirk to be logged for this car. Maybe it will disappear with time as the gearbox settles down.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post