Heated steering wheel retrofit

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Bluebro

Post by Bluebro »

AJB2 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:58 am Bluebro, I don’t suppose you live in the South of England by any chance do you?
I’m afraid not
2017 F-type V6 base
2018 M2 competition
2019 Z4 2.0i Msport

dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

Bluebro wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:34 pm
Lunar wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:12 pm The buttons were the old flat type - the volume one was getting a bit sticky and the right hand side cluster was just a blank too.
So (with great assistance from dbv6s) I swapped them for the newer profiled buttons, so have a full button complement on both sides now.
You keep the original electronic boards and just swap them into the new buttons.
So I guess the heated steering wheel LED was illuminating before - just behind a blank button for some bizarre reason!
Was there a circuit board behind the full blank on the right hand side?

The change Lunar and I did was just changing the plastic switches over - circuit boards remained the same as original ones which came with the car. Easy swap, 30 mins all in if you know what you are doing
By keeping original cars circuit boards you are guaranteed not to have any electrical issues (Some have reported changing switch packs and buttons not working). The only think changing is plastic
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Sorry Bluebro - I missed your reply there - thanks David.

And yes there was a board behind the RHS blank.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Bluebro

Post by Bluebro »

Electrics baffle me sometimes especially in cars.

I also fitted memory seat switches as I hated the plain looking seat switches for my 6 way seats, low and behold I now have the memory function, no lumbar but memory works a treat and the switches look a lot better.
2017 F-type V6 base
2018 M2 competition
2019 Z4 2.0i Msport
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Nice win!

It does make you smile that you have to bend over backwards to achieve some retro-fits and yet you can come across things like that.

As for the seats, I'm the only one who gets to drive my car so I don't miss a memory function and prefer the lack of extra motors and weight.

I quite like the bit of gloss black trim and the cool of the aluminium door handle - not so keen on the later matt black handle option.

All personal choice though and horses for courses.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Bluebro

Post by Bluebro »

I’m the only one driving my car too thankfully, although I have to say a pet hate of mine is getting the car back from Jaguar only to find the tech has moved the seat and struggle to get it back to that ideal position you had it in for so long. :x
2017 F-type V6 base
2018 M2 competition
2019 Z4 2.0i Msport
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Finally got around to doing this mod myself.
Retrofitted an SVR wheel sometime back, but didn't have time to t research the heated element, although it had the buttons and loom, so I used my old loom and buttons at the time.

Wind forward and Blubro's post and free time with Xmas and a lockdown made me think about getting on with it. Sourced the module from Ebay (actually turned out to be Bluebro as the seller..) and was a pretty easy job of airbag off, drop the bottom cowl, install the module and refit. Of course it didn't work, nor did much on the steering wheel to be honest - radio, cruise, paddles, phone, etc..

Through a bit of trial and error and airbag on and off a few times I got the break through using the right combination of SVR wheel loom, which had heating cable in it and extra connectors, SVR RHS circuit board (even though my original had the switch on the board) and my old 'S' LHS circuit board. Without the mix and match I could not make it work. Reassembled everything with SVR buttons for consistent shape and feel and all good.
Wheel gets properly hot and all the aux functions on the buttons work as usual.

As a footnote to anyone else doing it there is no need to connect anything else other than module on the column as the wiring into the dummy module is clearly already live and no coding needed either.

Now to to wait until I have an important reason to drive the car :)
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
AJB2

Post by AJB2 »

Morning Guys

I’m finally ready to fit this mod. Could anybody explain how the bottom cowl comes off or maybe even have a picture of the plug I’m looking for in situ please?

Cheers.
Philskill

Post by Philskill »

MY19 Carpathian Grey R-Dynamic P300, Black pack in and out, 12 way Memory seats, Climate Pack, Park assist, Meridian Surround, switchable exhaust.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

AJB2 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:16 am Morning Guys

I’m finally ready to fit this mod. Could anybody explain how the bottom cowl comes off or maybe even have a picture of the plug I’m looking for in situ please?

Cheers.
Removing the cowl is a 2 minute job. Just a couple of torx in deep holes on the underside and it pulls down and out.
I suggest move the steering wheel up and out. That gives most room to remove the cowl.
Go through airbag removal process then the cowl.
You’ll find a blank module on the lower left of the column by tour knee. You’ll see the cables in it. Press the release tab an swap the dummy module for your new one
That parts then done and you can put cowl back on
You should see the 2 spring loaded contacts point to where the back of the wheel has its respective contact rings
Good luck
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post