Heated steering wheel retrofit

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Bluebro

Post by Bluebro »

I bought myself a flat bottom steering wheel for my car and was fortunate enough to find it was heated as well.

As my car didn’t originally have a heated steering wheel I just went ahead and fitted the wheel to see what would happen. As I guessed the heated wheel button would not illuminate and no heat could be felt around the rim.

I did a few searches through this forum and saw a few posts where others had asked about fitting a heated wheel but no one had came up with a final solution as far as I could see.

So after speaking to a jaguar mechanic I know I managed to find out that our cars are pre wired already for a heated wheel and that a module needs to be clipped into place behind the steering wheel which has two contacts that run around two brass rings at the rear of the heated wheels.

Part number is C2C7505.

Fitted the module, clipped in the grey plug which is already in the car under the lower cowl and happy to report I now have an illuminated button and a toasty steering wheel just in time for winter with no coding required to the car at all.
2017 F-type V6 base
2018 M2 competition
2019 Z4 2.0i Msport

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Well done that man 👍🏻

I have a flat bottom wheel with illuminated heated switch but it’s not heated :roll: :lol:
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
AJB2

Post by AJB2 »

That’s really great to know.

Next question, I don’t suppose you took any photos you could share please?
Bluebro

Post by Bluebro »

I’m afraid not but if you are comfortable removing the airbag and steering wheel plus the lower cowling it’s pretty self explanatory. Just don’t forget to disconnect the battery before unplugging the airbag terminals.
2017 F-type V6 base
2018 M2 competition
2019 Z4 2.0i Msport
Bluebro

Post by Bluebro »

Lunar wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:21 pm
I have a flat bottom wheel with illuminated heated switch but it’s not heated :roll: :lol:
I’m curious to find out how that works? :lol:
2017 F-type V6 base
2018 M2 competition
2019 Z4 2.0i Msport
scm

Post by scm »

Bluebro wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:01 am
But he's said it doesn't work!
I guess the wheel has no heating element ... ;)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
AJB2

Post by AJB2 »

I’ve been extremely lucky & managed to find a module for sale on eBay for £75 so I’ve snapped that up along with a new heated steering wheel. Bluebro, I don’t suppose you live in the South of England by any chance do you?
Bluebro

Post by Bluebro »

scm wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:17 am
Bluebro wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:01 am
But he's said it doesn't work!
I guess the wheel has no heating element ... ;)
It’s the button lighting up when it’s not a heated wheel I’m interested in :D
2017 F-type V6 base
2018 M2 competition
2019 Z4 2.0i Msport
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

The buttons were the old flat type - the volume one was getting a bit sticky and the right hand side cluster was just a blank too.
So (with great assistance from dbv6s) I swapped them for the newer profiled buttons, so have a full button complement on both sides now.
You keep the original electronic boards and just swap them into the new buttons.
So I guess the heated steering wheel LED was illuminating before - just behind a blank button for some bizarre reason!
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Bluebro

Post by Bluebro »

Lunar wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:12 pm The buttons were the old flat type - the volume one was getting a bit sticky and the right hand side cluster was just a blank too.
So (with great assistance from dbv6s) I swapped them for the newer profiled buttons, so have a full button complement on both sides now.
You keep the original electronic boards and just swap them into the new buttons.
So I guess the heated steering wheel LED was illuminating before - just behind a blank button for some bizarre reason!
Was there a circuit board behind the full blank on the right hand side?
2017 F-type V6 base
2018 M2 competition
2019 Z4 2.0i Msport

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post