F Type SVR Spoiler Carbon Fibre Issue

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Robcat1978

Post by Robcat1978 »

Hi all, a problem with the carbon fibre spoiler has manifested itself recently. I can only assume the cold weather/moisture has got in the carbon itself.

The spoiler is original Jaguar OEM

There appears to be no damage to the lacquer on the spoiler and no previous repair.

Has anyone experienced anything similar, and can anyone recommend anyone who could possibly repair?

Probably goes without saying that I’m pretty gutted.

I have approached Jaguar but understand due to the age of the vehicle (sept ‘16) the body work warranty won’t cover this element as it’s not ‘paintwork’. The dealer is enquiring whether any goodwill may be offered on the part :(

There’s a lot of knowledge on this forum and I’d be grateful of any advice anyone may have

Thank you

666163AE-D1C2-45C9-A804-D5CDE99F3081.jpeg

22EDA48A-9EB5-4CAA-8869-CB38EFE7BCF3.jpeg

BEC3D830-0E11-42BA-9E09-253E976037B3.jpeg

F Type my2017 SVR Santorini/Ultimate Black
BMW G80 M3 Competition Portimao Blue
Range Rover Sport SVR Bosphorus Grey

dbv6s

Post by dbv6s »

Bad luck Rob, not sure about repairing, but keep your eye out on eBay because spoilers come up for sale for relatively cheap - its the wing plate, wiring and motor which costs the big bucks if someones looking to retrofit

Had a quick search, looks like there is one for sale for £500 - unless JLR give you a ridiculous amount of goodwill then this would be the cheapest option. You might need to get the end plates painted to your cars body colour but that shouldnt be more than £150ish I'd think

good luck with whatever you decide
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

Had to have my CF roof completely replaced on my SVR due to similar issue - luckily was still in warranty.

I think mine was probably caused by damp leaves (sap) getting under the lacquer as it had been out in the autumn damp for about a week or so. Should not happen but it did. The repair was fine but i do not let any CF part get damp leaves on now.

I also don't believe a CF roof is an option on any model now which is interesting.
Robcat1978

Post by Robcat1978 »

Ok thanks for the messages both. I’ll update the thread on the outcome once I hear back from jag. I’ve had a look on eBay, thanks for the pointer on that. It looks as though it should be easy enough to remove and fit a replacement one 👍
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

Hi,

What was the outcome with this - I have exactly same issue with my CF wing - has started to deteriorate under the lacquer just like yours but lacquer still OK

Is there a way to repair this or is it a replacement?
Robcat1978

Post by Robcat1978 »

Hi,

Got nowhere with JLR unfortunately.

I tried to purchase a spoiler on eBay but got messed around by seller and never did get the item! Got a refund eventually.

I removed the spoiler (which was really straight forward) and dried it out indoors which seemed to solve it as it looks fine now!

I did find a couple of small nicks in the laquer which may have let moisture in, which I touched up. I’ve not seen the issue since 🙏 👍
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

Interesting - pics of my damage attached - look so similar to yours - you can see the damage along the left hand front edge as you look at the picture - I'll remove and see if that does the trick

IMG_6101.jpg

Tel

Post by Tel »

Take the spoiler off, get it inside in the warm for a few days and play around gently with a hot air gun - aka paint stripping gun.

Had the same on the mirror caps on our XFS - drove the moisture out, and clear coated the whole thing.

Or, don't even worry about it. we can't drive fast enough to warrant a spoiler anyway 😏
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
Robcat1978

Post by Robcat1978 »

Will hopefully do the trick for you. Let us know how you get on 👍
Backofthenet

Post by Backofthenet »

Is there any instructions on how to remove the fixed wing SVR spoiler?

had a look and there are 4 torque bolts (two either side) but they don't line up with where the spoiler joins the rear boot lid.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post