Cost of Diff oil change

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Certainly not dumb - quite important to know.

A suction pump is something like this...

https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-too ... 21825.html

And no, the fill amount does not equate to the level of the fill plug - you need to put in the correct amount for the type of diff.

I would also suggest measuring the amount taken out, as if you don't extract it all then putting the full amount back in will overfill it.

It all sounds a bit more hard work than it actually is though - getting to the drain plug is perhaps the hardest part, but with a long extension and sliding it along the drive shaft it works fine. Just make sure you can undo the fill plug first, before you drain the oil, else you're a bit stuck.
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust

Deleted User 3572

Post by Deleted User 3572 »

Hi Lunar , I got a different pump from Halfords mine was more bottle shaped with a longer tube about a meter long with a bent U shaped metal end , I just used it to fill. I tried that method of removing the back wheel to get to the fill port , just could not get enough pressure on the long extension to loosen it , in the end I had the car up on stands and managed to see the fill port better between the exhaust pipes, but my normal sized wrench was not long enough , needed another 2-3 inch to get a grip on it , also the normal wrench the end of the wrench was to thick , so had to shop for a thin head one , but got there in the end lol
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

Gus, take a ride out to Honiton, go to windmill garage great guys and good price, ask for Roger the owner and Ivan or Barry to do the work
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Hi Beltupandholdon,
Yes, the one I linked I used for my Mustang back axle to suck the oil out.
Used the same one as you on the F but it was in cold weather and the tube stub snapped off, so they sent me another one.
I should have warmed the tube in warm water first so as not to strain the connection.
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
AJB2

Post by AJB2 »

I paid £72 + VAT during my main dealer service last November.
Deleted User 3572

[quote=Lunar post_id=62263 time=1644669069 user_id=1178]
Hi Beltupandholdon,
Yes, the one I linked I used for my Mustang back axle to suck the oil out.
Used the same one as you on the F but it was in cold weather and the tube stub snapped off, so they sent me another one.
I should have warmed the tube in warm water first so as not to strain the connection.
[/quote]

Good idea Lunar , we should charge these young bucks a consulting fee for showing them to DIY lol
Deleted User 3572

[quote=AJB2 post_id=62266 time=1644675407 user_id=2120]
I paid £72 + VAT during my main dealer service last November.
[/quote]

That is the price the jaguar dealer in Glasgow quoted me , so you done well , but all dealers seem to have their own price list I found when comparing the spark plug change and also servicing was quite shocked by the difference between one dealer to another :o
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

gasgas wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:40 am Gus, take a ride out to Honiton, go to windmill garage great guys and good price, ask for Roger the owner and Ivan or Barry to do the work
That’s a good recommendation thanks, I’ll see if the dealer will match the £72 + vat and if not I’ll either do it myself or head down to Honiton!
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Beltupandholdon wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:44 pm what no one has told you is how much to put in ;) LSD 860ml
Beltupandholdon wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:56 am I read about doing it on the yank forum so put in the 860ml , but this is for the v6 models only with the LSD diff
As the diff in question has previously been filled, the correct ‘wet fill’ amount on the V6 is 0.815 - 0.835ml. The 860ml you mention only applies to a ‘dry fill’ on the V6. I’ve attached a screen shot which is applicable to F-Types with V6 and V8 engines (360PS engine should actually show as 380PS).
Derivative wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:16 am Might be dumb questions but anyway...
What is a suction pump needed for when the oil will drop out of the drain hole?
Is it not the correct amount when it starts to run back at you from the filler hole?
A suction pump is not needed to drain the rear diff oil which is done via the drain plug. However a pump is required to replace the oil via the filler plug, such as this....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391473069609

https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/563720 ... -mini-pump

You must not fill the differential with lubricant up to the filler plug. The filler plug is only used to fill the differential with lubricant, and not to act as a level indicator. The correct specification and quantity of oil should be used.
Lunar wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:56 am I would also suggest measuring the amount taken out, as if you don't extract it all then putting the full amount back in will overfill it.

It all sounds a bit more hard work than it actually is though - getting to the drain plug is perhaps the hardest part, but with a long extension and sliding it along the drive shaft it works fine. Just make sure you can undo the fill plug first, before you drain the oil, else you're a bit stuck.
To drain all of the rear diff oil, the car should be reasonably level and not lifted up high on one end. In doing this, there’s no need to measure the amount of oil that is drained out, to avoid overfilling. Also the oil should be warmed up a bit beforehand....by taking the car out for a drive.

You’ve got it the wrong way round.....The drain plug is easiest to access as it’s located on the underside of the rear differential. The fill plug is more difficult and there’s a couple of ways to do it including the one you mention.
Beltupandholdon wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:54 pm we should charge these young bucks a consulting fee for showing them to DIY lol
Beltupandholdon wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:41 am by Beltupandholdon » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:41 am

but i am learning to DIY and save a few quid
viewtopic.php?p=59899#p59899

That’s a very bold statement from someone who is learning to DIY lol. I won’t be charging you a consulting fee for correcting the appropriate rear diff oil quantity you stated for the V6 :lol:

Rear Differential Lubricants & Capacities (V6 & V8).png

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

If you can drain the oil with the car level and not up on ramps I’m impressed RSPN 😂

Ramps are always the safer option to a jack and axle stands - a lot less faff too 👍🏻

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post