Exhaust valves

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
S1jor

Post by S1jor »

Hi,

My exhaust valves don’t appear to be working on my 2016 v6s.
The light on the exhaust button comes on when it should.
I can move the valves with my hands fairly easily.
Fuse 43 is in and not blown.
The vacuum lines look like there all
Connected
Is it likely the vacuum pump has gone?
Is there a way of testing the pump, or is there anything else I have missed checking??

Thanks

Simon

scz4

Post by scz4 »

Hi,

You should be able to moved the valve actuators\mechanisms by hand quite easily to ensure they're not seized. Very close to where the vacuum lines connect.
S1jor

Post by S1jor »

Yep I can move them easily, so there not seized
scz4

Post by scz4 »

That's good.

Then I'd suggest disconnecting the vacuum hoses (just pull off) and tie wrap a balloon on. See if it blows up when the car is idling\revving, it may even pop depending on the pressure it can generate.

Then you know if the compressors are working or not. If the valves are working, then it has to be that. If I recall correctly, there's a T-piece on the vacuum hose, could just one side be disconnected?
S1jor

Post by S1jor »

Hmm, I’d assumed cause its called vacuum pump, they sucked to close the exhaust valves?? Not blew??
scz4

Post by scz4 »

S1jor wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:28 pm Hmm, I’d assumed cause its called vacuum pump, they sucked to close the exhaust valves?? Not blew??
Ah good point.... I'm not sure.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

You may not even have a vacuum pump as there was a bulletin/recall to replace them. Mine was done years ago foc. Thereafter and on later models it just took a feed from the inlet manifold.
…and yes of course it’s a vacuum not a compressor.. if running you’ll hear it high up behind the passenger seat in the corner
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
S1jor

Post by S1jor »

If it’s been replaced, what am
I looking for??,
Would they have taken the vacuum pump away or just disconnected it?? And if that’s happened, vacuum pipes running from the exhaust valves all the way to the inlet manifold??
Sorry for all the questions
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

S1jor wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:23 am If it’s been replaced, what am
I looking for??,
Would they have taken the vacuum pump away or just disconnected it?? And if that’s happened, vacuum pipes running from the exhaust valves all the way to the inlet manifold??
Sorry for all the questions

Your 2016 V6S doesn’t have the old style active exhaust vacuum pump and reservoir.

Instead, the vacuum pipe runs from the upper rear of the engine compartment, along the fuel lines on the underside of the car, into the rear left wheel arch behind the NVH pad (noise/vibration/harshness), and into the vacuum hose on the active exhaust operating valve.

This link shows the active exhaust vacuum line for the 3.0L and 5.0L cars.... https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.co ... nd/jaguar/

I've attached the Jaguar Technical Bulletin dated 03/02/2015 which shows how the vacuum conversion was done on earlier cars. In it, Service Instruction ‘A’ is for the 3.0L V6 and Service Instruction ‘B’ is for the 5.0L V8.
JTB00365NAS2 - Active Exhaust Vacuum Pump Noisy.pdf
(811.98 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
Last edited by RPSN on Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Fez

Post by Fez »

Are you up to date with software updates, if you had them done your valves will not open until 1500 to 2000rpm. I can not remember the numbers but if you search out my previous threads it will explain all.
Black AWD 400, sport
MY 18.5
Pan Roof
Heated front screen
Front parking sensors
Full spare

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post