Petrol Particulate Filter

Anything F-Type related......
Blueone

Post by Blueone »

Hi all

I'm just wondering when they toned down the exhausts on the F-Type. I have a MY20 (19 plate) V6 and it's definitely quieter than the older models I've heard.

I'm looking at a 18 plate V8 and I'm hoping it's just before the filters came in but new enough for the Apple Car Play I have in my 19 plate.

Any ideas?
MY20 F-Type P340

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

All MY18 should be without GPF (EU6) however there might be exceptions for non UK markets.

At around car 59207 the cars changed to be EU6d with Gasoline particulate filters (GPF). This seems to tie in when the model number rolled over to MY19 (remembering model years and reg plates are completely different).

There will be exceptions depending on the order the cars came off the line. The car number being the last 5 digits of the VIN
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
AJ13

Post by AJ13 »

Did they not change the mapping on newer cars to reduce the exhaust pops and bangs? This was before the particulate filters were introduced.
IRR V8S. (Maybe going soon).
Macan turbo ..wifes.
Sunny Scotland based.
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

There was two software updates, the first so the car forgets dynamic mode and reverts to normal mode at each ignition cycle and a second one after that which appears to keep exhaust valves closed for longer at low revs when active exhaust is not enabled. Not aware of any engine mapping differences.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Blueone wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:03 am Hi all

I'm just wondering when they toned down the exhausts on the F-Type. I have a MY20 (19 plate) V6 and it's definitely quieter than the older models I've heard.
As Simple R has mentioned, the changes happened at around a VIN number range. I believe this was particulate filters and software as well as a change in ECU (flexray and non-flexray). Somewhere 68 plate onwards probably.

The new software does close the valves after moving off, up to 3000rpm, even in dynamic, unless under hard acceleration.

Have you tried pulling out fuse 15 (active exhaust) on your existing car? This disables closing of the baffles and makes a huge difference to the sound, no longer needing loads of revs or throttle.

However, I've heard that the 4 pot cars can go into limp mode when fuse 15 is removed. There's loads on the US forum with V6 and V8 without any issues. Mine's a 69 plate and has been fine for 1000 miles without the fuse. I only put it back in when it last went in for servicing.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
scm

Post by scm »

Bear in mind an 18 plate is likely to be MY19. Check digit 10 of the VIN - J is MY18, K is MY19.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
MANTOT3

Post by MANTOT3 »

I had the help of Simple R when looking recently for a SVR as a keeper!

I’m pretty sure the software has been changed with the MY19 cars, it’s not just the fuel filter. If you think logically, the pops and bangs are excess fuel igniting in the exhaust on the overrun, which is counterproductive to MPG, the new Euro sound restrictions and cleaning the exhaust gases. Probably detrimental to the lasting effectiveness of the petrol filter too.

The first SVR I test drove was a “K” MY19 and numbered in the low sixty thousands, so only just in the above range.

I couldn’t make it pop and bang but it did snort on gear changes, which the latest models all do.

Armed with Simple R’s information I eventually bought an early model “H MY17 “ which does pop and bang.
But, not as much as the V8 R IMO different software!
2016 SVR
Carbon Ceramic Brakes.
Homemade Barless front Grill.
And all the options on my wish list :twisted:
Previous: 2015 AWD R
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

MANTOT3 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:47 pm I’m pretty sure the software has been changed with the MY19 cars, it’s not just the fuel filter. If you think logically, the pops and bangs are excess fuel igniting in the exhaust on the overrun, which is counterproductive to MPG, the new Euro sound restrictions and cleaning the exhaust gases. Probably detrimental to the lasting effectiveness of the petrol filter too.
Probably also a reason to why the O2 sensors keep breaking in these cars.

Despite having the latest software, but not the particle filter, I think my car sounds just perfect. There's still lots of popping and crackling on liftoff. What I love is the raw exhaust noise but I'm not a fan of the pops and bangs and wish they could be completely disabled. They were a bit cool when the F-Type was new but now they just feel a bit too ubiquitous boy racer hot hatch to me.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
Blueone

Post by Blueone »

Thanks for all the thoughts here. Very useful information. Also big thank you to SimpleR for checking a car for me. What a great guy!
MY20 F-Type P340
Jimmyrn85

Post by Jimmyrn85 »

Afternoon all,

I'm new here, looking to purchase my first F Type, a V8 of the year 2018-2019 hopefully.

Reason is I think the new infotainment system looks a lot more modern and adds the carplay function, although not a deal breaker. How bad is the older one with buttons now compared to the 10 inch screen?

Anyway back on topic...

Will this car for example have the particulate filters to quieten it down?

https://www.james-french.co.uk/used-car ... 4275074469

Cheers!
2017 R
South East Cornwall

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post