Coolant Level Low

Anything F-Type related......
Posidrive

Post by Posidrive »

The coolant level low warning came on this morning so had a boring drive to work in the 5 series estate instead :(

Was only serviced about 200 miles ago so does not sound like a reasonable loss of water so planning on poking around to look for obvious leaks when I get home, where are the obvious places to look? Seen mention of a y piece under the super charger, is it easy to get a look at although sound like a bummer to replace? Will feel smug about extending the warrant if that’s the case
2015 V6S AWD Convertible in British Racing Green

scm

Post by scm »

I think those pipes are easier to access in the V6 than the V8 so you got lucky there! Although unlucky if you're losing coolant.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

The water pump is also a common culprit that could be a source of a leak given the age of your car. Parts of the coolant system behind the engine are known to crack sooner or later and a cracked or too loosely fitted coolant cap has also been reported to cause leaks.

I'd mainly look for signs of coolant on the ground where the car is parked. Otherwise, pull the engine cover off (if you have it fitted) and look around for signs of dried coolant. Most of the places that can start leaking are hard or impossible to see since they're more or less covered by the supercharger. Depending on where the leak is it may require a lift and removal of the undertray to locate the leak.

This is a good reason to have a warranty. When I had the same engine in my previous XF I had various parts of the system and the water pump go on different occasions after my warranty had expired which meant two supercharger off dealer jobs with the associated rather hefty bills. :x
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Posidrive wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:13 pm planning on poking around to look for obvious leaks when I get home, where are the obvious places to look?

While your at it, it’s worth checking your coolant expansion tank pressure cap is tightened correctly as explained here..... viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5668

They have been known to leak, causing residue around the tank neck.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
scharlton

Post by scharlton »

What did they do in the service?
Could they have done anything that would require coolant top up afterwards and they just forgot to do it?
I'd refil to correct level first and then monitor it carefully to see if it really is leaking, short journeys, just in case.
2014 Coupe 5.0R RWD
White
Herts
mono-uk

Post by mono-uk »

on my first ftype i had similar, a very slow weep from the water pump, only noticeable when the low coolant warning came on

had a new water pump fitted for about 400 ish from the dealer
Current: Black MY16 V8R AWD F-Type Convertible, Blade wheels, Exterior Black Pack
Previous: Black MY15 V6S F-Type Convertible, Blade wheels
scm

Post by scm »

mono-uk wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:51 am had a new water pump fitted for about 400 ish from the dealer
Yeah, Ford parts are expensive!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Indeed - found that out on my Volvo S40 😬
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Posidrive wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:13 pm The coolant level low warning came on this morning so had a boring drive to work in the 5 series estate instead :(

Was only serviced about 200 miles ago so does not sound like a reasonable loss of water so planning on poking around to look for obvious leaks when I get home, where are the obvious places to look? Seen mention of a y piece under the super charger, is it easy to get a look at although sound like a bummer to replace? Will feel smug about extending the warrant if that’s the case

Here’s two Jaguar Technical Bulletins regarding engine coolant leaks....

JTB00566

SITUATION: A Customer may express a concern that the "engine overheat" message is displayed on the Instrument Cluster (IC) and that coolant is leaking from engine compartment area.

CAUSE: Weakness in the plastic weld process of the coolant pipes.

JTB00278NAS3

SITUATION: The fluid level in the engine coolant system expansion tank may fall below the minimum level over a period of time or a ‘Low coolant level’ message is displayed in the message centre. Upon inspection, a leak may be found to be from the front of the engine-driven coolant pump, together with excessive wear of the coolant pump bearing.

CAUSE: This may be caused by coolant ingress into the coolant pump bearing housing, leading to corrosion of the bearing and incorrect support for the impeller shaft, leading to accelerated wear of the mechanical flat face of the seal and a coolant loss sufficient to display the warning message.
JTB00566 Coolant leak from the engine compartment.pdf
(1.61 MiB) Downloaded 118 times
JTB00278NAS3 Coolant Pump Diagnostics.pdf
(201.1 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Posidrive

Post by Posidrive »

Just had a call from Mike Allen in Swindon. They have found the leak. It’s the thermostat housing. Jaguar have no idea when they will be able to supply a replacement 😞
2015 V6S AWD Convertible in British Racing Green

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post