Anything F-Type related......
Cashgen1

Post by Cashgen1 »

2015 awd r convertible around £45k

2016 svr convertible around £65k

Is it with the extra £20k

scm

Post by scm »

Well, it's a year newer and a bit more powerful. But whether it's worth the extra has to be your call, it's your money and decision. And are they otherwise equivalent in terms of mileage, condition, history, etc.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Head or heart - rationally of course £20k is not worth it, but if I had the money lying around with no need for it (or wife :roll: ), then I'd go for the SVR every time

Clearly the halo model, likely to suffer less depreciation long term (although short term it will still lose more money in £'s, even if not %), rarer model and will always be the one people look at
Seems to me you're more likely to regret not buying the SVR than you are vice versa
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Blueone

Post by Blueone »

I’m in the process of making this very decision.

Just my opinion so feel free to take it or leave it:

From everything I’ve read, it’s not worth it. There’s not £20k worth of difference between the R and SVR in a lot of peoples opinions including mine from what I’ve researched. Certainly not enough difference for real world driving. Some people also prefer the sound of the R over the SVR.

I’d also question the depreciation. Used models were going for half their new price in 2016 so although they’ve gone up in value since, so has everything else due to a shortage in new cars. I think once that evens out, we’ll see a big drop, especially with the push for electric and with an SVR you’ll stand to lose more cash as pointed out in the post above.
MY20 F-Type P340
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I'm not sure we are comparing apples and apples anyway when discussing the OP's reported £20k difference.

That SVR might be loaded with ceramic brakes, full carbon pack, we know the SVR is a year newer but it might be custom SVO colour and low mileage, full service history etc.

Too many unknowns to discuss whether the SVR is worth £20k more or not. It might be an absolute bargain!
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

cj10jeeper wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:16 am Head or heart - rationally of course £20k is not worth it, but if I had the money lying around I'd go for the SVR every time

Seems to me you're more likely to regret not buying the SVR than you are vice versa
I think cj10 jeeper has summed it up exactly. I know of a number of people, who now own an SVR having previously had an R. Question being, is it going to be an itch that remains, as it seems to have been for some others?

Loads of reviews out there that describe the SVR differences. Is it night and day? I don't think so but I can only go on what those who have experienced both say (e.g. Sam from Seen Through Glass). Bottom line is we only really need a Fiat Panda, as it can exceed the speed limit anyway. Outside of that it's a personal choice using whatever man maths (or woman maths) you use for justification.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
mono-uk

Post by mono-uk »

If money isn't tight go with the heart, I started off with a v6 s, and loved it, after a year though I couldn't stop the nagging in my head that it wasn't a v8, You only live once, this isn't a dress rehearsal :)
Current: Black MY16 V8R AWD F-Type Convertible, Blade wheels, Exterior Black Pack
Previous: Black MY15 V6S F-Type Convertible, Blade wheels
Lux37

Post by Lux37 »

IMHO you cannot justify spending either £45k or 65k on a car,particularly during these challenging times across the world but if you are lucky enough to afford either then go for it as you do not know what's around the corner.

I have just purchased a 2017 convertible SVR after swapping it for a 2012 XKR which I had for 4.5 years which I thoroughly enjoyed.The SVR was my dream car though and I accept I will not be able to test its full performance on a public road. I do plan to keep it for some time so whilst it will depreciate quickly the first 3-5 years I imagine it will steady due to its rarity compared to the R.

Its early days but the joy of driving it and looking at the car though is priceless and I am sure the R would give similar pleasure.
2017 SVR Convertible,Caldera Red
Elementad

Post by Elementad »

Are the conditions and mileage similar?
IMO there will be little or no real world performance difference between the 2, however there is no denying the SVR has the element of being more special.

I have contemplated the move to an SVR previously but I do love my R AWD and it’s in a good spec (black pack, black wheels, pano roof etc) therefore always decided against it.

If you can the I say go for it. If the SVR hasn’t been looked after as well as the R AWD you mention then go for the R, you won’t be disappointed with either.
F Type R AWD coupe
(Previous car) F Type V6S convertible
Tel

Post by Tel »

We have driven both the SVR and the R, but in coupé form with the view to changing to a SVR.
A demo SVR convertible wasn't available. We had already owned the V8S (sold) and currently run the V8R RWD convertible as a reference point.

We pushed the SVR quite hard on B roads (we mainly drive those), dual carriageway and tried some motorway miles. I really couldn't honestly feel even 6K, worth of difference. The slight power increase wasn't noticeable, nor were the suspension revision changes, the steering may have been a smidge sharper on the SV car.

The main differences were the styling cues on the exterior, one of which I really like was the trailing edges of the front wings that gave the effect of a flared arch.
The Ti exhaust, was only the very last part of the system, and was maybe raspier than the R, but again, only a smidge.

Going for CCD's is a costly exercise in the longer term and simply not worth it, "even for track use". That's quoted from the team of drivers at Jaguars, Milbrook 'thrash it' day. The Performance steels work fine.

The most prominent difference we did feel, was the extra weight up front from the AWD system over our current 2015 RWD R, hence why we still have that model and have not changed to an SVR convertible.

So for us at least, there was no 'carrot' worth paying the extra dosh for.
My advice is to test drive both to death, even if it means having them on long term loan and see what you feel.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩