Locking wheel nut cover

Anything F-Type related......
Moss

Post by Moss »

Tom Sawyer wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:24 pm So had the offending nuts removed and new ones fitted by Hatfields in Sheffield for £36
Pleased to hear you’re sorted.
But why could Hatfield’s not simply tell you which code your locknut was? I am absolutely certain they didn’t have to terminally damage the existing bolts before fitting new ones.
SVR Coupe in Ammonite.

Tom Sawyer

Post by Tom Sawyer »

Moss wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:46 pm
Tom Sawyer wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:24 pm So had the offending nuts removed and new ones fitted by Hatfields in Sheffield for £36
But why could Hatfield’s not simply tell you which code your locknut was? I am absolutely certain they didn’t have to terminally damage the existing bolts before fitting new ones.
I had the code, so sent for it from Rimmers however it didn’t fit, when I queried it with them they advised me that you cannot just buy the adaptor, you have to buy the locking nuts as well.
Oviously I had another look on eBay, but couldn’t find the adaptor I needed, so bit the bullet and let them do it…….lesson learnt, don’t lose the bloody adaptor!
V8S
Lunar Grey
Viezu Upper Pulley & Remap
596bhp
587lbs/ft / 796Nm
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Moss wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:46 pm
With regards to...."I am absolutely certain they didn’t have to terminally damage the existing bolts before fitting new ones", if that was the case it could be that the main dealer didn’t have the correct locking wheel nut adapter to fit the car as there's approximately 20 different ones for the F-Type?

Tom Sawyer wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:38 pm I had the code, so sent for it from Rimmers however it didn’t fit, when I queried it with them they advised me that you cannot just buy the adaptor, you have to buy the locking nuts as well.
Oviously I had another look on eBay, but couldn’t find the adaptor I needed, so bit the bullet and let them do it…….lesson learnt, don’t lose the bloody adaptor!
If your main dealer informed you that you cannot buy the locking wheel nut adapter separately, they weren’t quite as accommodating as my own main dealer who informed me that if I needed a new one (which I don't) it is priced between £10 - £30 and I could purchase whichever one their technician uses to fit my car. They would then order a replacement locking wheel nut adapter for themselves.

Yep, moral of the story.....don't lose the adapter!
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Moss

Post by Moss »

RPSN wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:57 pm
With regards to...."I am absolutely certain they didn’t have to terminally damage the existing bolts before fitting new ones", if that was the case it could be that the main dealer didn’t have the correct locking wheel nut adapter to fit the car as there's approximately 20 different ones for the F-Type?
I am sure they could have helped Tom more appropriately. Tom’s overall bill would have been closer to £150 which included the purchase of the new lock nuts and adapter IIUC?
Rimmer Bros have inadvertently supplied the adapters for earlier versions of the marque, not the latest F-Type, by the sounds of things.
RPSN wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:57 pm
If your main dealer informed you that you cannot buy the locking wheel nut adapter separately, they weren’t quite as accommodating as THEY COULD HAVE BEEN……
Fixed ….

Anyway, learning lesson for everyone and I’ve painted my locknut high viz yellow, tagged it with a radio transponder, and recorded its code on my birth certificate.
If I ever buy another Jaguar - the wheel nut adapter will form an important part of early negotiations :D
SVR Coupe in Ammonite.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Moss wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:46 am I am sure they could have helped Tom more appropriately. Tom’s overall bill would have been closer to £150 which included the purchase of the new lock nuts and adapter IIUC?
Tom’s overall bill was £36 for the main dealer to remove the old locking wheel nuts/refit the new ones, and the Jaguar locking wheel nut kit is priced at approx £105 as shown here....https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.co ... nd/jaguar/
I assume he’s had a refund of around £12 from Rimmer Bros for the incorrect locking wheel nut adapter they supplied him with?

He seems quite happy with the service provided by his main dealer....
Tom Sawyer wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:47 pm
RPSN wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:47 pm
Can't fault it!....Is that for 4 new normal wheel nuts or is it for 4 new locking wheel nuts plus a new adapter that you lost? (I doubt it's the latter as the price you stated sounds too cheap?)
:D Just the removal and refitting, the locking nuts and adaptor were on top of that, although to be fair Hatfields would have fitted the new locking nuts even if they’d been crappy ones from eBay supplied by myself
Moss wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:46 am Anyway, learning lesson for everyone and I’ve painted my locknut high viz yellow, tagged it with a radio transponder, and recorded its code on my birth certificate.
If I ever buy another Jaguar - the wheel nut adapter will form an important part of early negotiations :D
Most people don’t lose their locking wheel nut adapter but unfortunately some do.....You could also have your adapter code tattooed onto your forehead :lol:
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Be careful of giving out any info that might assist thieves.
It's an open public forum for anybody to read.
If you have any info about a short cut to remove your nuts then use a pm rather than post on here.
Thanks.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

+1 for that.....cj10jeeper’s post was best removed.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

PhilB wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:31 pm Be careful of giving out any info that might assist thieves.
It's an open public forum for anybody to read.
If you have any info about a short cut to remove your nuts then use a pm rather than post on here.
Thanks.
No problem - anyone needs to know then PM me
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post