One DRL is half as bright as the other.

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

In stationary traffic at the lights, I noticed the reflection of my DRL's in the back of the car ahead weren't the same brightness.
Further examination once home and indeed one is half as bright as the other. It's also the same for the amber turn indicator.

Anyone had similar or know what I can do to investigate this problem? (I hope it's not going to require a very expensive replacement.)
MY2018 R-Dynamic 340 coupe

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I had an LED offside dancing around issue and it was replaced. They aren't cheap I cannot help with diagnosis however I have a spare offside (drivers side UK) one in the garage if you end up needing one.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

Thanks for the offer simpleR but unfortunately mine is the nearside unit.

I previously had the drivers side DRL occassionally flicker (dance) in a machine generated rhythm. (Not a loose connection style of flicker.) It was replaced under warranty and still remained. It stopped when they updated the headlamp software.

I'm looking at the possibility of pulling it apart and replacing the LED driver if possible. (Some drivers on eBay etc kicking around for £10s of pounds rather than new headlamp at £1000+)
WarsashFType

Post by WarsashFType »

I have exactly the same problem as the one you describe simpleR also near side. I haven't had a quote for a new unit but am dreading what it might cost. I also understand getting them is a problem atm?
Does anyone know if turning off the DRL is an option September 2017 model btw.
scm

Post by scm »

WarsashFType wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:36 pm Does anyone know if turning off the DRL is an option September 2017 model btw.
It may be a legal requirement in some markets, whereabouts are you?
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
NZ-400

Post by NZ-400 »

I had the same experience of noticing one dim DRL in a reflection. In my case it was due to moisture in the lower part of the light case and not a fault with the LED itself.
400 Sport, white, panoramic roof, perfect
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

I have exactly the same issue and car is booked in for rectification under warranty. Was told that it is not necessarily the light unit and there is a series of other checks first. No condensation in my lights at all. Dealer has said he’ll try and have a new unit available when it goes in next month as that is still the most likely fix. Not sure how much a new light unit is but have seen other posts saying around £2500 😳
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

GusA wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:28 pm I have exactly the same issue and car is booked in for rectification under warranty. Was told that it is not necessarily the light unit and there is a series of other checks first. No condensation in my lights at all. Dealer has said he’ll try and have a new unit available when it goes in next month as that is still the most likely fix. Not sure how much a new light unit is but have seen other posts saying around £2500 😳
If it doesn't need replacing and 'other checks' sorted it, do let us know what the checks and remedies were. (Or even let us know what checks they tried first, even if it still needs replacing.)
Thanks
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

£2,255.65 + VAT list price.
Yes please do share these checks, tests and resolution. I'm sure more people are going to need to know as the years progress.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Deleted User 1715

Post by Deleted User 1715 »

Derivative wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:27 pm
If it doesn't need replacing and 'other checks' sorted it, do let us know what the checks and remedies were. (Or even let us know what checks they tried first, even if it still needs replacing.)
Thanks
It’s booked in for 5th and 6th September, I’ll post back on this thread what the resolution was (hopefully) and what other checks were done if they can tell me. I liked the idea of LEDs as they are generally much more reliable!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post