One DRL is half as bright as the other.

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
NZ-400

Post by NZ-400 »

Pained to say that my MY18 is now on the left side LED casualty list..
400 Sport, white, panoramic roof, perfect

MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Did anyone notice the brightness deteriorate over time? Mine is just slightly weaker, not as bad as many other cases I've seen pictures of and almost not noticeable if you don't look specifically. Can't say it has changed since I noticed it last summer and it doesn't bother me much as long as it doesn't get worse.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
ayrejc

Post by ayrejc »

My nearside went in summer last year as well. MY2018. Once part available was repaired under my extended warranty
MY18 F Type 400 Sport Coupe RWD Satin Chrome Orange
NZ-400

Post by NZ-400 »

MajorTom wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:57 pm Did anyone notice the brightness deteriorate over time? Mine is just slightly weaker, not as bad as many other cases I've seen pictures of and almost not noticeable if you don't look specifically. Can't say it has changed since I noticed it last summer and it doesn't bother me much as long as it doesn't get worse.
That's a good question and although I can't be certain, I believe mine was a sudden drop in intensity rather than a progressive fade. It is very noticeable front on - a 50% drop feels like an accurate estimate - and if it was a progressive fade I think the likelihood is I would have noticed before it got to this point. But I share your concern; will it get worse?

I posted here previously about my light appearing dimmed by condensation but the effect then was local to the condensation and not the entire DLR. The condensation has gone (at least for now) but it may have been a contributing factor.
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

I think mine was a relatively sudden change. Only noticable in the boot reflection of the car in front. Happily equal brightness of the two, then one time (and ever since) noticed left hand side half as bright. Nothing gradual.
MY2018 R-Dynamic 340 coupe
rogerhall33

Post by rogerhall33 »

At some point Im going to see if you can split the headlight by heating one up a little. The BMW and HSV guys have done this to replace defective LEDs. Prob a dry joint which has rattled lose over time.
Derivative

Post by Derivative »

rogerhall33 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:14 pm At some point Im going to see if you can split the headlight by heating one up a little. The BMW and HSV guys have done this to replace defective LEDs. Prob a dry joint which has rattled lose over time.
I'll be watching with keen interest.
MY2018 R-Dynamic 340 coupe
NZ-400

Post by NZ-400 »

I'd be interested (but very disappointed) to hear if anyone who has had their's replaced, under warranty or otherwise, have had a recurrence.
scz4

Post by scz4 »

Out of interest, how much is a single new headlight if you're not fortunate to have a warranty?
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

scz4 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:12 am Out of interest, how much is a single new headlight if you're not fortunate to have a warranty?
You'd be looking at £1,500 but varies depending on type of headlight and where you buy from
Most likely you'd end up going with a used unit subject to availability and half the price
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post