One DRL is half as bright as the other.

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Nice, keep us posted.

If anyone is considering doing this on their own, there's a chap that posted a youtube video on how to do it. Doesn't look too complicated and doesn't seem to require any coding. The process reminds me of of the pre-facelift XFS I had almost 10 years ago... took the headlights out of it countless times to try different light sources for its full beam, DRL/parking light and "static bending" lights. :D

MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...

NZ-400

Post by NZ-400 »

10-15 minutes of effort. That’s cheered me up.
400 Sport, white, panoramic roof, perfect
JamesOC

Post by JamesOC »

JamesOC wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:37 pm
Yes MY20, not sure re all cars; I might have been unlucky but it’s unlikely to be a coincidence as it is the same side and issue as the others. I’ve done a relatively high mileage since I’ve had the car so it’s possible it’s hit mine earlier….
Just collected car after having new headlamp fitted.
I asked about the claim process and they said it was quite straightforward so no extra details needed; but the plus items were that car was bought approved used (even over 2 years ago), serviced on time, and they had recorded an issue with water in the headlamps last year…… I also wonder if it’s a branding thing in that having too many F-Types with broken DRLs just looks bad as they are quite visible on the road. I have seen 2 like this recently??
On the paperwork they quoted the full price fitted as £2750.78!! (They also quoted me £699 for new rear pads, which on the Jag website are £293! That’s for another thread)
Again thanks for the comments on this topic on the forum, all very helpful. Good luck to others in a similar position.
MY20 R AWD Coupe, Portofino Blue
Previous: 2011 XK
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Good to hear! So this was not an extended/after market warranty job but entirely covered by JLR?

The supplying dealer where I bought mine has just been fobbing me off on this and refusing to even try to get JLR to cover it. Sounds like I'll need to try my luck through another dealer.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
JamesOC

Post by JamesOC »

The standard warranty expired in July and I didn’t go for the extended warranty; so yes entirely covered by JLR. I don’t know if in turn they are forcing Valeo to replace these? Also I moved soon after purchasing the car, so the supplying dealer hasn’t been servicing it... I don’t know if that’s has any bearing.
I would persevere with it and try another dealer. For reference it was Marshall’s who have been servicing mine and it was purchased from Harwoods in Brighton.
MY20 R AWD Coupe, Portofino Blue
Previous: 2011 XK
Stu67

Post by Stu67 »

Thread revival!

Has anybody had success getting a replacement light unit under the JLR extended warranty for this issue?

MY19 R and recently noticed a distinct lack of "Intensity" from the NS light units DRL although main/high beam and indicator appear unaffected.

Stu.
mickjaguar

Post by mickjaguar »

Yes, I had passenger/left side replaced in early September.
2019 SVR Coupe, Velocity Blue
Previous 2015 V6 340 Coupe IRR
Stu67

Post by Stu67 »

mickjaguar wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:06 pm Yes, I had passenger/left side replaced in early September.
Thanks, I'll be giving my local JLR dealership a call.
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

By "conicidence" I had my passenger (Left side/Near side) whole LED headlight unit replaced today.

A friend had spotted it was dimmer ... I never noticed. When my car was being serviced, I asked them to check, and they said it had indeed failed the limits.
JLR asked me to take a photo, then they accepted doing it under my extended warranty.

Mine's an MY20, built in June 2019. I wonder whether they had a duff batch of passenger side headlights?
Lookers Aylesbury (my local JLR dealership) said the light would have cost me around £2500!
They had trouble locating a new one, but they did in the end.
Now the new one has exactly the same brightness as the other 8-)
P300 R Dynamic, Caldera Red, MY2020
roedies

Post by roedies »

Just to share that my MY2018 has this problem for +1 year for the left side DRL and indicator.
What worries me is the fact that the intensity of the left indicator has also faded, impacting potential visibility.
Nevertheless I've passed the Belgian mandatory yearly car inspection with no problems. DRL's are not required to function over here.
Keep my fingers crossed or the next car inspection. I'll only replace when I fail the inspection. +2500€ is a mafia price or a headlight!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post