bonnet vents

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
eggy

Post by eggy »

im looking to buy a f type but just been speaking to a x owner who said he had problems with water leaking into the engine via the vents and causing problems told me it had been rectified on newer models with reshaped vents anybody else had any problems

MArtyn Veg

Post by MArtyn Veg »

I’ve got the old style mesh vents. I’ve had no issues but then again we haven’t had much rain since I bought her in June! I can see where the water drains through on to the engine cover when I lift the bonnet which doesn’t look great but as said no running issues.
MY21 First Edition 5.0 V8 P450 AWD Coupe, Eiger Grey Metallic
Previous MY18 R Dynamic 3.0 V6 Coupe, Santorini Black, 20” Carbon Blades
eggy

Post by eggy »

thanks for the reply he also said it caused his injectors to stick or seize he worked for jaguar at the time so it was not a problem for him they sorted it
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

Injectors corroding in situ is a known issue. The thing is, you'll never know they're stuck until an injector fails and someone tries to get the old one out!
Like RPSN in the following thread
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4921&start=30
I've put a bit of extra tape on the engine cover to try to divert any drips away from the injectors.

Having said that, I haven't had a problem (touch wood) with my 2015 car, which lives outside, so if I were you I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's one of those things that might never happen.
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
scm

Post by scm »

The vents are positioned differently between the RWD and AWD cars - RWD has the vents close together and near the windscreen, the AWD has them wider and further down the bonnet towards the front.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Tel

Post by Tel »

eggy wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:12 pm im looking to buy a f type but just been speaking to a x owner who said he had problems with water leaking into the engine via the vents and causing problems told me it had been rectified on newer models with reshaped vents anybody else had any problems
The engine has a very large plastic tray covering the top Sc and beneath the SC are the injectors, so it's unlikely (but not impossible) that water ingress through the bonnet vents is the problem. More likely scenario that the coolant Y-piece may have leaked which is a known issue.

The bonnet vents to look out for:

These DO NOT let water in freely:

1.jpg

These DO let water in:

2.jpg

Open mesh are also found on the AWD's as mentioned further towards the nose, but still let water in.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

eggy wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:12 pm im looking to buy a f type but just been speaking to a x owner who said he had problems with water leaking into the engine via the vents and causing problems told me it had been rectified on newer models with reshaped vents anybody else had any problems
eggy wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:12 pm he also said it caused his injectors to stick or seize he worked for jaguar at the time so it was not a problem for him they sorted it
The ‘reshaped vents’ that you mention are the shrouded type.

My car has the open mesh bonnet vents and although there is corrosion on the engine block and bell housing (a common issue) I haven't had any injector problems so far. The car isn't garaged and I park it outside in the elements all year round.

I did think that the open mesh vents were the cause of the corrosion (due to water ingress) until I saw that MajorTom has it on his car which has the shrouded vents....viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5347

The following links explain that the shrouded vents allow water into the engine bay.....
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4921
viewtopic.php?p=48846#p48846

The open mesh vents have a larger open surface area which allow more water in but also allow more heat out from the engine bay (this helps with cooling and ventilation). If I place my hands above the vents when I park up after a decent run, there's a fair amount of heat rising through them! Furthermore, the engine top cover 'SUPERCHARGED' badges (one each side) are visible through the open mesh vents which is a nice feature, whereas that isn't the case with the shrouded vents.

This is what I’ve done to help prevent potential water ingress issues through the vents viewtopic.php?p=59388#p59388 (NavigatorNI mentioned earlier that he’s done something similar).

This is what jonm has done viewtopic.php?p=64783#p64783
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
itsajaaaag

Post by itsajaaaag »

scm wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:13 pm The vents are positioned differently between the RWD and AWD cars - RWD has the vents close together and near the windscreen, the AWD has them wider and further down the bonnet towards the front.
Is this still true for the facelifted version?
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

even if there were no bonnet vents an engine will get wet when driven in the rain. Add UK salt to that and corrosion can be an issue on any car. Yes, that can cause injectors to become corroded in place and it can be a nightmare to get them out. Happened to me and cost me an arm and a leg that a warranty proved useless to cover. I took to using a boot mat to cover the engine whenever the car was parked but the other injectors could already have corroded.

Either buy a car that's never been used or accept that there could be problems you will have to deal with.
JayT

Post by JayT »

Posted on another thread, but I’m a new F Type owner 2014 S model. I read all the same threads, so took off engine cover, covered all metal parts with WD40, then designed these vent covers for when the car is parked up on my drive…… problem sorted, no water ingress!!!

IMG_1726.png

IMG_1727.png

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post