Pinion Seal Replacement

Anything F-Type related......
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

rogerhall33 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:13 pm I have noticed 2 other bolts holes on the diff flange which are threaded through so Im thinking you can reverse screw some volts in there to push the prop flange out? See attached showing the 2 holes Im talking about..... any thoughts?
Rather than create a new topic, it would have been better to continue with your previous one on the same subject which is also entitled 'Pinion Seal Replacement' viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6616

Before removing the differential pinion flange, ensure you measure the depth of the pinion nut on the shaft. Also, scribe a line to mark the differential pinion shaft to the flange nut and the flange, as shown in the TOPIx 'Rear Differential Drive Pinion Seal - Removal & Installation (V6)' instructions here.....viewtopic.php?p=67119#p67119

I wouldn't try the method that you've suggested. After removing the differential pinion shaft nut, a 3-leg puller (if you have one) should be suitable for removing the differential pinion flange, unless you can improvise another way? Here's an example of the type of puller.... https://www.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pro-cr ... er-6/6696g
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

rogerhall33

Post by rogerhall33 »

Fair comment abput the original post.

However my querie is about splitting the prop away from the diff flange, not getting the diff flange off as read up about the marking etc which is not an issue.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

The photo in your post threw me lol. After zooming into the workbench with bolts on top, I can see that it’s actually from my own car when I had the pinion seal replaced, as shown here.... viewtopic.php?p=51443#p51443

The two other threaded bolt holes that you mention in the diff pinion flange are for the Jaguar Special Tool (205-053 Retainer, Differential Pinion Flange) which is used when removing the differential pinion shaft nut....see first diagram (attached). Trying to ‘reverse screw’ some bolts into those holes (from the differential side) in order to separate the propshaft flange from the diff pinion flange may do the trick so it's worth a go.

The TOPIx ‘Drive (Propeller) Shaft – Removal & Installation (V6)’ instructions I posted here viewtopic.php?p=67119#p67119 show the Jaguar Special Tool that is used to separate the propshaft flange from the diff pinion flange....see second diagram (attached). If you don't get any joy, you could use that to try and improvise a method to do the job.

When you get to the stage, if you have any issues in removing the differential pinion flange you can refer to my previous reply about using a '3-leg puller' and I'm not pulling your leg there! :)

1.png

2.png

Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
rogerhall33

Post by rogerhall33 »

Cool cheers. Should have realised what the other 2 threaded holes were for doh! Will grind down the end of 2 bolts to a taper so the edge does not crush the thinner end plate on the diff side and see how it goes.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

rogerhall33 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:03 pm Cool cheers. Should have realised what the other 2 threaded holes were for doh! Will grind down the end of 2 bolts to a taper so the edge does not crush the thinner end plate on the diff side and see how it goes.
Ensure you don’t damage the thread on the end of those two bolts when grinding them down to a taper. You could run a suitable die (tap and die set) over them to clean the threads up if need be.

The ‘thinner end plate’ that you mention is on the 'Drive (Propeller) Shaft' side.
rogerhall33 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:13 pm Now I'm at the point of pulling the prop out of the diff which is suppose to be a pain
Hopefully, you’ll be able to separate the propshaft flange from the diff pinion flange without putting too much pressure on those bolts or any other method you may use.
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
rogerhall33

Post by rogerhall33 »

Well after using a small lump hammer and drift the diff came away from the diff flange without too much drama. Dot punched the flange and nut so I can do up to the same spot, small puller to pull the flange off (the nuts tight!!), seals removed and thats it for today as sunny tomorrow.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

rogerhall33 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:19 pm Well after using a small lump hammer and drift the diff came away from the diff flange without too much drama. Dot punched the flange and nut so I can do up to the same spot, small puller to pull the flange off (the nuts tight!!), seals removed and thats it for today as sunny tomorrow.
Good progress there! You’re well on your way to saving a packet....
rogerhall33 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:36 pm So, quotes near £600 for the main dealer to do this on the Mrs 3.0 ftype which was fine till I saw the parts costs!
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6616
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
rogerhall33

Post by rogerhall33 »

I was, shes been driving my newer 5.0 awd one and thats throwing a lambda fault on band 1 so will have to replace the sensor again soon. To much popping LOL
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Even so, you’ll still be quids in!

Didn’t think you could ever get too much popping! :)
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Front Parking Aid
rogerhall33

Post by rogerhall33 »

O2s are a consumable in my view. £100 and 20min to fit so easy.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post