Screeching noise on cold days

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

I've noticed a screeching noise for the first 5 minutes or so after starting the car on a cold day. Hard to tell where it is coming from but seems somewhere forward of me driving seast. Not constant,...I think is when car is in motion and then maybe for a second after coming to a halt. The sound doesn't return until the next day's cold start.

It isn't bothering me, and I think it did it last winter too. Just wondered if anybody has any guess what this is ?

Its a 380 bhp V6

shatnersbassoon

Post by shatnersbassoon »

I had something similar on my V6S.
Turned out to be a coolant leak that was finding it's way on to one of the belts, and caused a screeching noise similar to yours. Was usually worse when it was cold or wet out.
Have you noticed any coolant loss?
MY18 V8R AWD
stickshift steve

Post by stickshift steve »

Are you running the car with the aircon on? The aircon pump runs off the v belt and puts a big strain on the belt , this plus a less pliable belt due to the belt being cold may be something to do with it . It could also just be that the belt is old and needs replacing. We get it sometimes on trucks where the belt has been on for a few years.
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

No, no coolant loss....and if it was that mabe I could expect the noise to reappear over the course of the day with further leaking rather than just be first things in the day (but dunno ?)

Could be the belt, but I think the aircon doesn't do much for the first few miles while the engine warms up...while that is the exact time I get this screeching (again, ..dunno ?)

Thanks for the suggestions
stickshift steve

Post by stickshift steve »

On some vehicles the aircon comes on with the demister on cold mornings to dry the air by recirculating it through the aircon system.
daytona650

Post by daytona650 »

I had the same. Turned out it was the missus before the heated seats have come to life.

She makes a similar noise during high speed too.
2013 V6S Convertible - Salsa Red, Performance Seats, 20" Wheels, Climate Pack.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post