Exhaust flap gets stuck in closed position- help

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
JaguarXF-2018

Post by JaguarXF-2018 »

Hello, I recently took delivery of a F-Type P340 year 2018. Upon driving the car home I noticed a squeaking coming at low revs and later I found the culprit are the exhaust valves. Upon closer inspection one valve is normally opening/closing but the other one gets stuck when it closes, meaning that the rod is pushed in and doesn't come out until you move it with your hand. The pneumatic system is not able to get it unstuck.

My question is this: is it normal that one valve gets stuck in the closed position? I am wondering if this is a design feature and it opens later when the revs are higher with vibrations, etc.

As always I am very grateful for your help.

Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 13.50.09.png

F-Type P340 cabrio 2018 8-)

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

It's not normal and a common problem of one or both of the valves seizing up. In fact later models had a revised parts fitted

Run a search on 'sticking exhaust valve' and you'll see lots of threads about it from replacement of the whole back box to diy fixes to free off the actuator rods

Before going any further did you buy from a car dealer? if so get them to replace the system either under warranty or consumer law. It will cost c£1,600 for the box plus fitting, so not something you want to do yourself
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Philb280

Post by Philb280 »

Sorry to jump in but mine have started squeaking, did get under and lubricate but it’s back again . It’s on an extended Jag warranty but I was under the impression this was no longer covered?? Might be wrong though .
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Philb280 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:01 pm Sorry to jump in but mine have started squeaking, did get under and lubricate but it’s back again . It’s on an extended Jag warranty but I was under the impression this was no longer covered?? Might be wrong though .
You'd have to read the wording of each and any specific warranty as to what is covered or excluded. You may well be correct for your policy.
Specifically my post was aimed at JaguarXF-2018 who has just 'taken delivery'. Regardless of if any warranty covers it during first 6 months the fault is covered under consumer law as deemed to be to pre-existing from the time of sale.
I had mine replaced by non Jaguar seller at a Jaguar dealership (under a Marshalls Jaguar warranty) proving the point and have had other claims over recent years inc. a new dual mass clutch on a BMW that was excluded from the warranty paid out.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

cj10jeeper wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:58 pm It's not normal and a common problem of one or both of the valves seizing up. In fact later models had a revised parts fitted

Run a search on 'sticking exhaust valve' and you'll see lots of threads about it from replacement of the whole back box to diy fixes to free off the actuator rods

Before going any further did you buy from a car dealer? if so get them to replace the system either under warranty or consumer law. It will cost c£1,600 for the box plus fitting, so not something you want to do yourself
This. If I recall correctly the Jaguar Approved Warranty on the German market wouldn't cover this, but since you got it from a German dealer this is definitely on the dealer under consumer law.

By the way does anyone know when the valve design changed? I was pretty sure that these facelift cars have the updated design.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

MajorTom wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:32 pm
cj10jeeper wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:58 pm It's not normal and a common problem of one or both of the valves seizing up. In fact later models had a revised parts fitted
By the way does anyone know when the valve design changed? I was pretty sure that these facelift cars have the updated design.
Here you go.....viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5731
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
JaguarXF-2018

Post by JaguarXF-2018 »

Thank you for your help. The JLR dealer I got the car from is a real ba***rd and is denying any issue. That’s why I wanted to check with you if the valve should always operate smoothly or is there a catch that makes it stick at low revs. Anyway, I will now pursue to have this amended under warranty or consumer law.

What upsets me most is that I asked specifically about exhaust valve operation and the dealer replied “everything is perfect”. Now I lost two weeks for the dealer to “check” my detailed videos only to come back with “get used to the squeaking noise, we wont cover that and the valve is operating normally”. I thought the customer care would be better at this price point but sadly not.

Sorry about the rant :)
Tel

Post by Tel »

JaguarXF-2018 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:54 pm Hello, I recently took delivery of a F-Type P340 year 2018. Upon driving the car home I noticed a squeaking coming at low revs and later I found the culprit are the exhaust valves. Upon closer inspection one valve is normally opening/closing but the other one gets stuck when it closes, meaning that the rod is pushed in and doesn't come out until you move it with your hand. The pneumatic system is not able to get it unstuck.

My question is this: is it normal that one valve gets stuck in the closed position? I am wondering if this is a design feature and it opens later when the revs are higher with vibrations, etc.

As always I am very grateful for your help.

Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 13.50.09.png
Lord knows what has been sprayed on them to keep them lubricated?
Looks like white grease....that will make them stick, it's far to viscous.

I use

Lay under the car ( or get the butler to!) and work the valve with your fingers, whilst applying this liberally to the joint and the actual rotating hinge that runs through the centre of the exhaust tube - takes some patience and persistence, but a few days of that plus the odd squirt for preventative maintenance, works for me.

IMPORTANT - This procedure will not appear in any JLR document or handbook - Purely experienced based and for info only 😏
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
JaguarXF-2018

Post by JaguarXF-2018 »

The white stuff is high temp ceramic grease and it worked well to lubricate and free the mechanism. The valve that gets stuck has a physical click but is otherwise very easy to move. The physical click seems to be from the inside of the exhaust pipe and that’s something that is not reachable.

Thank you for your inputs.
Tel

Post by Tel »

JaguarXF-2018 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:06 am The white stuff is high temp ceramic grease and it worked well to lubricate and free the mechanism. The valve that gets stuck has a physical click but is otherwise very easy to move. The physical click seems to be from the inside of the exhaust pipe and that’s something that is not reachable.

Thank you for your inputs.
Sounds like the flap has pushed up a burr inside the pipe or vice vesa.

Do you have an endoscope?

If you can see anything then you might try a needle file fixed to something long enough to allow you to reach the area to relieve it?
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩