Would you buy this F-Type R?

Jaguar F-Type Order Forum
PaulP

Post by PaulP »

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy my first F-Type, and in fact my first Jag.

I know it will be a MY19 V8 R and I'm about to pull the trigger on one but the milage made me pause for a second.

Here's the AutoTrader ad: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... posit=true

I wanted a MY19+ because of the new infotainment system, seats, and frontend changes. It has everything I wanted from flat-bottomed steering wheeling, black pack, the fixed wing, Jag warranty, and even has the pre-OPF exhaust which I understand is extremely rare for this MY. The tyres + pads are all pretty much brand new.

But it has 26k miles on it. I can pickup something with ~10k miles less for £2 - £5k more but without the options, warranty, and pre-OPF exhaust.

Would you buy it? Anything I should look out for? The 12 month Jag warranty (that I will extend) gives me some peace of mind.

Also, why is insurance so expensive?! It's 1.5x my previous car (2019 GTR).

Cheers!

gf15

Post by gf15 »

Absolutely. I really like that.
4 years old, so 6.5k miles per year.
Good spec.
gf15 with 2015 v6s coupe. :mrgreen:
Steveglenlee

Post by Steveglenlee »

Go with how the car makes you feel, if you're happy with the price and spec then go for it. I missed two cars before the one I have now because I ummd and arrd for too long over whether to buy or not (spec and colour) . That's not to say I regret buying the one I have, she's perfect. Spec isn't as high as the others I looked at but everything I need and her colour is something else.
MY17 F type R V8 AWD in Dark Sapphire
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Firstly I wouldn't be bothered by that mileage. The cars are ment to be used after all. I'm 43k miles and nearly 6yrs in and no dramas to report.

That is car 60231 and was originally on plate OV68MGO.
Cars from 59207 have GPF (gasoline particle filter) fitted and this should too. The co2 of this car comes back as 249 and should be euro 6d and has no outstanding campaigns for drive by noise. However I might be wrong.

The car was ran by C Walton Ltd at Bruntingthorpe for 2yrs which is rare (usually only one) presumably for Jaguar however no idea who first owner would of been. The plates return nothing online.

Service history is all ok except 4th and last service doesn't list the details of what work was done so ensure it had rear diff oil changed which is a known weak point.

Looks great. Enjoy.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Laf02

Post by Laf02 »

I'd buy it, I bought mine with 22k miles on the clock.
MY16 380 V6 S Coupe
PaulP

Post by PaulP »

simpleR wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:33 pm Firstly I wouldn't be bothered by that mileage. The cars are ment to be used after all. I'm 43k miles and nearly 6yrs in and no dramas to report.

That is car 60231 and was originally on plate OV68MGO.
Cars from 59207 have GPF (gasoline particle filter) fitted and this should too. The co2 of this car comes back as 249 and should be euro 6d and has no outstanding campaigns for drive by noise. However I might be wrong.

The car was ran by C Walton Ltd at Bruntingthorpe for 2yrs which is rare (usually only one) presumably for Jaguar however no idea who first owner would of been. The plates return nothing online.

Service history is all ok except 4th and last service doesn't list the details of what work was done so ensure it had rear diff oil changed which is a known weak point.

Looks great. Enjoy.
Amazing, thank you!

I actually haven't seen the car and will get it delivered to me as I'm quite far away. But are GPF-fitted cars what older V8 Rs were? i.e., will it crack/pop just as the the older models?
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I've not driven or been in a MY18 pre-GPF and MY19 post-GPF back to back to compare the noise difference.

I would recommend test driving as many as you can to feel the difference between engines, noise, RWD/AWD, seats and options.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
jagseven

Post by jagseven »

I’ve driven both pre and post GPF in my search for an SVR and there is quite a noticeable difference - the GPF car still sounds good but needs more provocation to pop and crackle.
Initially I was determined to get a pre GPF car but ended up picking a GPF car for other reasons (tech, colour, mileage etc)
I will probably remove fuse 15 to increase the volume of my GPF car when I pick it up next week.
The pre GPF car I tested was almost too much for me with lots of crackling all the time - but it did make me giggle. In the right mood it’s great but I could imagine it being almost embarrassing at other times and not very Jaguar like.
I also understand later maps make the car quieter on start up etc but I was told the GPF car I’m getting has not had this software update - it certainly sounded very loud on start up (which I liked).
A test drive is the only way to decide if you’ll be happy either way. They all sound good, just in different ways.
2019MY F-Type SVR - for fun
2019MY F-Pace SVR - for family duties
jagseven

Post by jagseven »

Meant to add - I do like the look of the car you’re considering!
2019MY F-Type SVR - for fun
2019MY F-Pace SVR - for family duties
Tel

Post by Tel »

Nice looking car, but then all F's are.

No, I wouldn't buy it for the following half a dozen or so off the top of me noddle:

1. It's Black (They are a right royal PITA to keep clean and keep looking nice)
2. It's AWD (Heavy, numb to drive, higher running /maintenance costs in comparison to an earlier RWD R)
3. The wheels look like cheap copies of Carbon Blades, but without the carbon (These will scratch like buggery being gloss)
4. Black interior (F cabins are small and quite dingy, Black makes it moreso)
5. Whoever fitted the "Jaguar" door projectors put the RH side into the LH side and vice versa! (Ten minute fix)
6. Flat bottomed steering wheels - The novelty soon wears off when you're doing a lot of wheel work
7. I'd prefer buying Private every time (with the wealth of knowledge on here for digging out history, why pay dealer prices?)

I'd be looking at an earlier, lower mileage RWD model myself, with the smallest infotainment screen I could find.....the driving gives me more than enough entertainment!

At the end of the day it's your hard earned, if it floats YOUR boat, then do it!
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩