Insurance Renewal

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

simpleR wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:13 am Martin Lewis previously said the sweet spot is 22 days.
I digress but for holiday car hire it seems to be around 14 days. I've tested this year after year in Spain and other countries. Always book a banker reservation early in the year, check monthly or so then at 14 days it drops on what's left which is often luxury cars. Cancel and rebook. This year as prices ramped up I've swapped a crappy Renault Captur for an Alfa Romeo Tonale and saved €200+

Less than 14 days and they know people are desperate, most cars gone and ramp up the prices again.

There's certainly some truth in timing renewals and purchases.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more

ToyCarMan

Post by ToyCarMan »

I feel everyones pain. Just got my renewal from Hastings Direct a few days ago and I am appalled by the upshot in renewal price for 2023-24 .

44 YO, no policy changes or penalties and living in a Cat B Postcode area with locked garage.
  • Last years price: £477.65
  • Renewal price: £684.35
I am even shocked at the price comparison websites as there appears very little "reasonable" prices that do not carry a substantial Compulsory excess.

Adrian Flux just emailed me back with £656.40

If anyone has a sweet deal finder then let us all know :)
F-Type R-Dynamic 380PS AWD
V6 Black
Webarno

Post by Webarno »

I paid £406 last year for mine.

Renewal due early next month so I’ve been getting some quotes from comparison sites. Cheapest on there for me is £550.

Just had my renewal quote through from my current insurer (Adrian Flux) at £506.

Annoying that it’s increased by £100, but not as crazy as some of the ones you guys are getting.
MY15 V6 S Coupe Stratus Grey
Essex
ToyCarMan

Post by ToyCarMan »

Some of the prices you guys are getting near the £450 mark are unbelievable. Can't imagine how much vol/comp excess is being added into those policies and if its negligable then I'm super jealous!
F-Type R-Dynamic 380PS AWD
V6 Black
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

ToyCarMan wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:21 pm Some of the prices you guys are getting near the £450 mark are unbelievable. Can't imagine how much vol/comp excess is being added into those policies and if its negligable then I'm super jealous!
If it makes you feel even the slightest bit better mine was £600 (just bought the car so not a renewal).
I'm 32 in a cat A postcode, 9 years no claims and no penalties etc.

I thought it was a little high as its a weekend car that I had put down a max of 2000 miles per year on with access to a company car that is my daily.
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

ToyCarMan wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:21 pm Some of the prices you guys are getting near the £450 mark are unbelievable. Can't imagine how much vol/comp excess is being added into those policies and if its negligable then I'm super jealous!
As posted before I’m on £230 premium after a recent big increase, but I do have a £500 excess on top of mandatory so £750 in total. With 9 years (maximum at LV) ncb, so it’s clear I don’t claim anyway, so why reduce the excess when all it does is racks up the premium significantly year on year.
Avoid all the add-ons such as courtesy car, breakdown, protected ncb, etc. as all available better elsewhere if you even really need them, or take the temp hike in premium if you do claim. Strangely don’t go too low on mileage as it may indicate a higher risk as you are not familiar with the car. LV on renewal told me then don’t even care unless you go crazy above it. Add partner and share cars, so not sole driver.

Of course also become old, garage the car, don’t commute, avoid peak times most days of the week and live in the shires..
Run the compare tests every few years but don’t move every year as that can count against you too.

Just my experience of seeking low premiums long term with decent enough cover, but others may be different.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

cj10jeeper wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:22 amOf course also become old, ....
But don't get TOO old, as my father is discovering to his cost!
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Cluck wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:39 am
cj10jeeper wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:22 amOf course also become old, ....
But don't get TOO old, as my father is discovering to his cost!
Of course and a few years to get there. Started to notice that overseas car hire companies tend to mark 69 as a risk point. Still a few years to go not worry.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
scm

Post by scm »

cj10jeeper wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:22 am... garage the car ....
I've heard that some insurers will load the premium if you garage the car since you might prang it driving in and out.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

scm wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:23 pm
cj10jeeper wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:22 am... garage the car ....
I've heard that some insurers will load the premium if you garage the car since you might prang it driving in and out.
You’re correct. People hit the entrance sides, drive into the back wall or knock things off shelves. My buddy dropped a foot tyre pump off a shelf and needed a clam re spray on his Elise.
I took a slight increase in premium for the dry conditions for the soft top :)

My iX3 which is around 3 times the value lives on the drive and is cheaper.
Never analysed it but I assume the picture my be different for some cars e.g. a RR Sport in London would be much less locked up at night
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post