My first ever car at grand age of 54 is an F type

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Death and Taxis

Post by Death and Taxis »

Hello folks..

New to the forums, well new to owning a car to be honest. I have never owned a car as I have had motorcycles since I was 17, and now at the grand age of 54 I have sold my motorbikes and I have purchased my first car which is an 18 plate P340 R-Dynamic :-)..
I know nothing about cars beyond the basics so might have (that translates to will have..) some daft questions to ask.

We can kick off with my first daft question.. I would like some new wheels and my car has 18" wheels. Can I just buy 19 or 20 inch wheels or do I need different brakes with different size wheels? Also if I go for a bigger diameter wheel do I need lower profile tyres?

I will post some images once I have had it detailed and hope to get new wheels etc..

Thanks in advance for answering any daft questions :D

scm

Post by scm »

You can certainly fit 19" or 20" wheels if you're coming from 18" without having to change the brakes. You will need to lower the profile of the tyres to compensate for the larger rims while maintaining the (approx.) overall diameter. Jaguar tyre sizes for 19" are 245/40R19 (94Y) front and 275/35R19 (96Y) rear, for 20" it's 255/35R20 (97Y) front and 295/30R20 (101Y) rear.

And welcome to the club!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Dynamic Dek

Post by Dynamic Dek »

Welcome D&T,

I like your style, no messing about, straight for the F-Type 8-)

ATB
DD
P450 21MY Firenze Red
Eclipse83

Post by Eclipse83 »

Congrats, and welcome to the club 👍
| MY15 | V6S Coupe | RWD | Italian Racing Red | Perf. Seats & Wheel | Pano Roof |
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

Larger wheels will affect the speedometer readout (slightly) and if it's fatter, you'll have to ensure it doesn't rub against the wheel well in the front when turning.
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

scm

Post by scm »

santoshlv426 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:02 am Larger wheels will affect the speedometer readout (slightly) and if it's fatter, you'll have to ensure it doesn't rub against the wheel well in the front when turning.
It's not the wheel size - it's the wheel and tyre height making the overall diameter that's important. I can't be bothered to do the maths, but I'd guess if you're using the Jaguar recommended profiles, the overall diameter will be pretty much the same for all sizes.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post