Learnt something on Engine Tone

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

Thanks to Jason Camisa's Know it all video, I finally know why the F Type sound differs from say a Ferrari's scream and it seems to be due to the FT having a cross plane crank as opposed to flat which is used in the Ferrari (and V10 Gallardo) I think.

Just sharing this newly acquired bit of knowledge which always puzzled me when being passed by a Lamborghini or Ferrari !

Exhaust configuration plays a part, but the crank configuration explains the "growl" vs the "scream"
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Indeed, engines with a flat plane crank do sound nicely edgy when revved out.

Some of them even growl and scream ;)

MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

The growling ones definitely sound the best though. :) And IMHO nobody does that V8 growl better than the Americans.

Having said that, I prefer cars like the F-Type to scream. Some more F-Type specific engine tone things - the fact that the AJ126 V6 does it so spectacularly well seems to be thanks to it having the unusual 90 degree config and of course also some stellar exhaust sound design work from Jaguar.

That location looks familiar by the way. :D

347204_cra.jpg

MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
Steveglenlee

Post by Steveglenlee »

It's all to do with the firing order and how that affects the exhaust gas pulses. Flat plane cranks fire in sequence from one cylinder bank to the other RL RL RL RL.,where as Cross plane fire out of sequence RL RR LR LL or LR LL RL RR. The double pulse on one side gives the Cross plane the distinctive V8 burble. The even firing gives the V8 that Italian scream of Ferraris and Lamborghinis.
MY17 F type R V8 AWD in Dark Sapphire
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

Jason did an excellent job of demonstrating the firing order and with a hand demo, I got the distinction. A lot goes into manufacturing the expereince that these machines deliver. It's audio engineering coupled with mechanical engineering.
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post