prospective new owner

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
mikey123

Post by mikey123 »

hi i have been watching this forum for over a year as i really want a v6 s BUT im being put off by the faults being spoken about and the cost to fix them .. injectors etc . one chap stated if you cant keep it in a temperature controlled garage you best not have one ,, are they really that fragile , i have a 08 alfa spider that sits out side unused for days on end and has never been a problem , i have a budget of 40k just not sure i would not be safer keeping the 8k alfa .. you know if i do change and it breaks she who rules will .. well you can guess

Steveglenlee

Post by Steveglenlee »

How many people have a temperature controlled garage!!!
Service it regularly, get an extended warranty and driive it. They're no more fragile than any other car
MY17 F type R V8 AWD in Dark Sapphire
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Mine lives outside, had since new, now 44k miles, never been on a battery charger, no issues.

Some earlier models may suffer with seized injectors due to vent positions and like most cars there are some known issues, such as exhaust values stuck/squeaking, rear cross brace surface corrosion, centre air vents stuck halfway, a few replacement rear diffs etc but all documented issues with known fixes.

For me, ensure that they have a full service history and itemised, and drive them and enjoy them.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Kev

Post by Kev »

No matter which forum you go on for any make of car you’ll always find problems. When I was a Snap-On Tool dealer many many years ago, the Main Stealer Techs would always moan about how shit the cars were; Audi, BMW, Aston Martin…Any brand will have its failures and people are quick enough to moan about things when they go wrong but rarely will you hear the good things

Do your research and due diligence, use on the line resources to dig a bit deeper if you’re unsure of something, look for a car which has the specification you want, and when you have a look at any car don’t be afraid to poke around under the bonnet and underneath
MY18 V6S AWD P400 Santorini Black
MY16 V6S AWD British Racing Green (Rejected)
scm

Post by scm »

The F-Type is my 4th Jag and none of them has been unreliable or expensive to maintain. The most expensive part I've ever had to buy was a water pump for my 2010 XKR, and that's a Ford part! As others have said, find a good example, keep on top of the maintenance and it should be as reliable as any other make. And it'll be a lot more fun than any other make! My main expenses have been tyres and fuel. Go for it! :)
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
mikey123

Post by mikey123 »

thanks chaps . what you have said has put my fears aside . they do look fantastic ,
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

...and then you press the pulsating jaguar heartbeat starter button and hear THAT epic noise 8-)
MY14 "S" badged V6 Convertible in Lunar Grey metallic
Performance seats, Meridian, heated flat bottom wheel with aluminium paddles, heated front screen, cruise, dual zone climate, switchable active exhaust
Steveglenlee

Post by Steveglenlee »

Yes, they do look fantastic but they sound even better!!!
MY17 F type R V8 AWD in Dark Sapphire
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Could have been me that mentioned a temperature controlled garage :lol: but you can definitely have one without it. I agree with the other comments - do your due diligence, get a clean one with a good history, treat it well and it will treat you well back.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
jonm

Post by jonm »

Not fragile at all, engines and gearboxes are solid, chassis suspension and wheels are very well built.
Remember watching a Harry Metcalf video on YouTube, that guy has loads of supercars and he commented at the end of one of his videos on how well built the ftype is.
Also see the recent times article by Mr Jeremy Clarkson himself commenting how the ftype is the most solidy built car he's ever used on a road trip and then went of out and bought himself one.
People come here to report when they have issues, I see a lot less issues here than some other car forums I use, including the Volvo one.
My16 F-Type V6 340

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post