Splitting Bushes

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
MAYDIT2

Post by MAYDIT2 »

Hello to All

Looking for some advice please.
Following the recent annual service on my 2014 convertible by an independent garage, the service print out noted the following items in need of address

LHR and RHR Control arm bush split on knuckle
LHR and RHR Lateral arm bush
LHR drop link split.

The answers to my questions were at best vague and the estimate they provided to rectify this was in the vicinity of $7000. Aussie dollars!! Now I am not at all mechanically minded, but some research would indicate that these items would generally only need repair/replacing at around the 100k miles, my car has done 24000 km (14000 miles)!!

I have done some research on this and other F Type forums which hasn't turned up much information. My question is, is this a known wear item for these cars? Is this normal or am I being a little precious.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any input I would welcome.

Thanks John.

simpleR

Post by simpleR »

I have had both front lower control arms changed due to the play in the joint/bush. Circ £2,100 but extended warranty/Jaguar paid for it.

That was after 30k miles and at that time my job involved driving to a location everyday and negotiating over 20 speed bumps a day (for the first 4 years). It was put down to this in my case.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I'd certainly want to have a great clarity on the location and extent of the splitting before considering that level of expense (about £3,600)
Is the splitting internal or just minor splits on external visible rubber? Is there play or wear in the joints that needs addressing?
What are they looking to replace at such costs? Is it whole components or labour to press out and refit bushes?
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

plus 1 to understand what needs changing, a steering bush can only be between £10 to £50 each, (check out prices on line) maybe an hour each to change?
MAYDIT2

Post by MAYDIT2 »

Thanks forum, really appreciate you taking the time to relay your experience/knowledge.

It does appear that with only 24k gentle km's travelled, with no track work or speed bumps attacked on a regular basis, these items have somewhat uniquely detiorated prematurely. For now I have done as suggested and written to the service manager asking for clarification of the works proposed on the items they listed as in need of address.

ps. I have attempted to attach a copy Service estimate to which I am referring.

20231014_153235.jpg

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Doesn’t really add anything to the picture as looks like labour and parts are mixed. However as before all the figures look way too high for these jobs.
Separately $1571 to supply and paint a door handle looks crazy..

Will be interesting to see what response you get.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more