Isle of Man

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
Millwheel

Post by Millwheel »

Just back from a great few days on the Isle of Man. Forum members may not be aware that the national speed limit on the IOM is - there is no limit, just “safe and sensible”. With some terrific driving roads across the various mountains, all in excellent condition and pothole free, this must be one of the last great driving destinations where the motorist is welcomed, not despised (like Wales). Easy access by ferry from Liverpool and Heysham, with a nice new ferry on the Heysham route. Prices in the island seem significantly lower than the mainland. I’ve never enjoyed my F-type so much; actually driving instead of staring at a speedometer is a new and welcome experience. Driving the TT course also upped my respect for the riders who do it in sixteen minutes and touch 200mph in parts. These guys have serious cojones.

An IOM trip is highly recommended and no passport required. Or Green Card!

jonm

Post by jonm »

Thanks for the tip, my wife's been nagging me to take her there but never really been interested, I didn't know they had mountains there. Have you got any pictures you can post with the f type in them
My16 F-Type V6 340
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Been to the island several times and a joy to drive and I fully agree that local people love cars and bikes there.
Strangely I’ve done a lap of the TT course in a highly modded off road Jeep, so not fast
Mountains are amazing and entered some serious off road challenges there, but would love to take the F Type for a weekend..

Just as a footnote, although there is no national speed limit, the towns and villages are regulated just as the mainland, so 30, 40 is normal and 20 in some areas.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
V8esp

Post by V8esp »

I've been been going on a bike for the last 20 plus years and seen more restrictions been put in place since the glory days of the 90's, when most of the Island was unrestricted.
The TT mountain section is a favourite for bikers, so avoid the race weeks before and after the tt and classic tt and just keep an eye out for them coming up behind you and from the opposite direction.
But if you've never been then it's definitely worth a visit before they enforce more restrictions.
Millwheel

Post by Millwheel »

Yes, it can't last, go soon. Best times for driving seem to be early morning and the later afternoon, the roads can be quite busy in between. Here's a video for Jonm. No sound sadly as the co-pilot added a commentary. https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/5hagk8yj ... jchxd&dl=0
jonm

Post by jonm »

Thanks, looks nice and quiet, looks a lot like the roads between midwales and Aberystwyth
My16 F-Type V6 340
Greystone

Post by Greystone »

Looks great, thanks for posting Millwheel.

How was the accommodation/night life?
MY20, Chequered Flag, V6 340, Carpathian Grey.
Millwheel

Post by Millwheel »

Accommodation situation fairly bleak, most hotels on Douglas seafront with minimal on road parking on the prom or a Seventies multi storey horror behind. It is a Victorian resort still geared up for … coach parties. We used a guest house “Englewood Lodge” which was outstanding - and had safe parking. Saw no evidence of nightlife, it must exist but the island seems to shut down about five o’clock. Little evidence on the streets of the money which must be tucked away given the many spectacular homes you drive past - this is a major tax haven after all.