Alloys

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Deleted User 4371

Post by Deleted User 4371 »

Hi all!

Quick question, as I'm getting myself all confused on some alloy wheels.

I am purchasing a second set of alloys (non-Jag ones) to put winter tyres on.

I have a MY24 P450 with 20" wheels.

All the sites I am looking at offer Alloys in widths of 7.5, 8.5 or 9.5 but I don't know how to find the widths of my current alloys.

I think I need two 8.5's for the front and two 9.5's for the rear but I was wondering if anyone here knew for sure?

Is it as simple as going out and measuring my current alloys?

Thanks

Deleted User 4371

Scrap that...

Found a table that gives the information.. looks like I need bigger rims!

Screenshot 2023-10-18 141049.png

MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Have you tried these guys, looks like you just put in your details and choices appear in numbers. Would be worth giving them a call.

https://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-w ... wider-rear
Last edited by MikeM on Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY21 P450AWD R Dynamic Coupe, Bluefire
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

If I were looking to a set of dedicated winter wheels I’d look to smaller 19” tyre to get a higher side wall ratio.
Makes for better more compliant tyre, more pothole resistant and likely cheaper with greater range.
Just need to ensure your setup of brakes can accept the smaller rim.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

cj10jeeper wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:32 pm If I were looking to a set of dedicated winter wheels I’d look to smaller 19” tyre to get a higher side wall ratio.
Makes for better more compliant tyre, more pothole resistant and likely cheaper with greater range.
Agree, best advice 👍
MY21 P450AWD R Dynamic Coupe, Bluefire
Deleted User 4371

cj10jeeper wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:32 pm If I were looking to a set of dedicated winter wheels I’d look to smaller 19” tyre to get a higher side wall ratio.
Hi both, yeah thanks! I had thought about smaller rims and would prefer that however I'm not sure my rears could accommodate that, it's pretty cramped in the 20's as is.

I'll call the dealer and see if I can find out.

Half considering just leaving the rims I have and swapping out the rubber and storing the summers without rims.

@ MikeM thanks for the link will check them out!
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

I don’t think taking tyres on and off rims is a good idea for either the tyre or rim. Risk of damage to the rim from fitting, more balancing weights on and off and for the tyre, risk of tearing older rubber and setting up new stress and wear patterns in the tyre, unless for the latter you mark which wheel and location they are from.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
68MBC

Post by 68MBC »

Opinions are divided in regards to taking the tires off every season or owning two sets of wheels. The maker recommends rotating the tires every so often to allow for even wear, but our tires have different sizes front/rear and also are directional, so that means taking them off the rim anyway. I personally opted for spending more for a better quality rubbers (MPS4S) and keeping a single set of rims, plus my tire shop provides also garage for the spare ones for a modic fee. If it a specialized tire shop, than I´ll trust them not to "hurt" my rims in any way. This setup allows me to rotate every season. I have tried the other way with a different car before, eventually I had to take the tires off the rim anyway due to visible uneven wear, plus the saves I made by not having to go to a tire shop every 6 months did not offset the price of an extra set of alloys.
P380 V6S Coupe RWD MY15
Grey Stone

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post