Powered Tailgate won’t close

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Ap1848

Post by Ap1848 »

Hi All.

Just picked up my 1st brand new F Type and already run into an issue 😂🙈 the powered tailgate won’t close electrically.

It opens fine using all possible controls (button inside, boot release and key fob) but have only managed to get it to close once with the key fob (coincidentally after opening it with the key fob, I tried again straight away afterwards using the boot release and had to manually close it again.

Just making sure I’m not doing anything stupid (is there a setting to change or something in the car) before I take it back to the dealer.

TIA

Kev

Post by Kev »

It may have gone out of sync if you closed it manually. Unlock the tailgate, lift up manually (perish the thought) then close again using the remote
MY18 V6S AWD P400 Santorini Black
MY16 V6S AWD British Racing Green (Rejected)
Ap1848

Post by Ap1848 »

Thanks, will try that - it’s not been closed manually to my knowledge (apart from needing to shut it after it failed) but it was in the dealer’s lot for god knows how long before I purchased it.
scm

Post by scm »

Might be worth checking your battery voltage, and giving it an overnight charge if it's a bit low - these cars really love their volts.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Ap1848

Post by Ap1848 »

scm wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:33 pm Might be worth checking your battery voltage, and giving it an overnight charge if it's a bit low - these cars really love their volts.
Surely not on a brand new car with a decent 30 min mostly motorway run to bring her home? Plus another 30-40 mins of driving today! That’s a little worrying when the car will regularly be parked for up to 2 weeks while I’m at work!
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

Ap1848 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:52 pm
scm wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:33 pm Might be worth checking your battery voltage, and giving it an overnight charge if it's a bit low - these cars really love their volts.
Surely not on a brand new car with a decent 30 min mostly motorway run to bring her home? Plus another 30-40 mins of driving today! That’s a little worrying when the car will regularly be parked for up to 2 weeks while I’m at work!
It's definitely worth getting a decent charger for it like the CTEK. Will prevent a whole host of issues in the future. Most high end cars, Aston Martin, Ferrari etc come with them as nothing hits a car harder than being parked up for long periods unused.
2016 V6S, Italian Racing Red, black trim kit. Regularly polished to perfection.
Ap1848

Post by Ap1848 »

Will have a look into it. It’s never been an issue before so never crossed my mind. I’ll be doing 10k miles ish per year in it but will be parked at the airport for up to 2 weeks at a time at least once a month - it’s gets a good 80 mile motorway slog before and after though and will be driven plenty in between.
Jaguandy

Post by Jaguandy »

With a decent battery you should be OK parking up for two weeks. Just ensure you double-lock it.
F-Type R Coupe Firenze (Italian Racing Red) AWD MY16
scm

Post by scm »

Ap1848 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:52 pm
I've read that it takes about 20 minutes of driving to put back the charge you use when you start the car (willing to be educated if that's wrong). so if your battery isn't fully charged to start with you're only actually charging it for 10 minutes per run. That's why I suggested giving it a full charge so you can eliminate that from your diagnosis.

BTW, I've left mine for three months and it started okay after that. I did get the "low battery" warning and gave it a full charge subsquently, of course. A couple of weeks should be easily manageable, but give it a long drive (who wouldn't? :)) after that.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Tel

Post by Tel »

Any electrical gremlins with F-Types can usually be cleared, as mentioned above by charging the battery AND resetting the 'brains' by disconnecting the battery for about enough time to make a brew!

If it still persists, then time to sniff out the code.

Our car, bought new in May 2015, still on the OEM battery. Gets left for >1 month at a time regularly, and not used at all when the salt or the winter is here.
Had the battery low warning once, when I was running my Espresso machine multiple times off the cigarette lighter socket at Beaulieu!
CTEK goes on once a week when I'm away on business.

There is no reason why you shouldn't get a good ten years easy out of modern batteries if looked after.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩