Powered Tailgate won’t close

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Ap1848

Post by Ap1848 »

scm wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:09 pm
I've read that it takes about 20 minutes of driving to put back the charge you use when you start the car (willing to be educated if that's wrong). so if your battery isn't fully charged to start with you're only actually charging it for 10 minutes per run. That's why I suggested giving it a full charge so you can eliminate that from your diagnosis.
Wow, would never have expected that - guess it’s a big lump to get moving from cold! It’s off for a good run this evening so hopefully that will do the trick and the motorway runs when I get back to work later in the month will help too!

cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Ap1848 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:12 am
I've read that it takes about 20 minutes of driving to put back the charge you use when you start the car (willing to be educated if that's wrong). so if your battery isn't fully charged to start with you're only actually charging it for 10 minutes per run. That's why I suggested giving it a full charge so you can eliminate that from your diagnosis.
Wow, would never have expected that - guess it’s a big lump to get moving from cold! It’s off for a good run this evening so hopefully that will do the trick and the motorway runs when I get back to work later in the month will help too!
To add some colour an alternator and battery system are designed to maintain the battery topped at a full level whilst running the car and ancills.,, not for charging a fairly flat battery.
Just rough numbers. A v6 uses a 95ah battery and assume a 50ah alternator average output, not the peak theoretical output. If you assume half will be used to run engine, electronics, heating, air con, audio, etc., etc., then a flat to full would be c 4 hours. Of course not flat at all as it starts, but a 12.1v reading for instance is only 50% charged, equally the charge is not linear, slowing down as it gets more fully charged.
I’ve experimented with many cars and batteries and I’d say it takes at least 2-3:hours long distance driving (at speed, daytime) to do the job, or a ctek charger 24 hours.
Certainly the concept of a 20 mile or so fast drive will not charge a battery, but is of course perfect to keep a nearly full one in top condition
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Tel

Post by Tel »

Ap1848 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:12 am
That will temporarily mask the issue...for now.
2016MY V8R IRR
ITG Maxogen Cold air intake kit
Billet OBD lock
Forged lightweight Blades
Full custom Xpel Ultimate PPF wrap
Piano Black badges
17mm MST Hubcentrics
Smarttop remote
Black exhaust tips
Porterfield RS-4 Carbon Kevlar pads
Mich PS4S's
+ more 💩
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

After 6 years of ownership, car outside and left weeks with no usage etc, I have never had any battery related issues or electrical gremlins.

As it's a brand new car, a call and trip back to dealer surely should be the advice if the issue persists.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
Ap1848

Post by Ap1848 »

simpleR wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:02 pm After 6 years of ownership, car outside and left weeks with no usage etc, I have never had any battery related issues or electrical gremlins.

As it's a brand new car, a call and trip back to dealer surely should be the advice if the issue persists.
Oh it definitely will be going back after our holiday next week. I was just wandering if I’d missed a simple trick before I do. Some interesting points I’d never considered about the battery charge raised though - I’ve never had issues with battery charge on any previous car.
scm

Post by scm »

Ap1848 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:09 pm... I’ve never had issues with battery charge on any previous car.
I don't know what other cars you've had, but these modern high performance, often not frequently used, cars all suffer the same "feature" of requiring lots of volts to avoid random electrical gremlins from appearing - Lambos, Astons, etc. - Jaguar is not alone! That said, i don't use mine every day, and they're usually fairly short journeys when I do, and and I've not had any battery issues either. I do occasionally (every few months, when i remember!) give it an overnight charge, just to keep on top of things. Best to see how it fits in with your use pattern, and then decide how to take it forward.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Ap1848

Post by Ap1848 »

scm wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:26 pm
Ap1848 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:09 pm... I’ve never had issues with battery charge on any previous car.
I don't know what other cars you've had, but these modern high performance, often not frequently used, cars all suffer the same "feature" of requiring lots of volts to avoid random electrical gremlins from appearing - Lambos, Astons, etc. - Jaguar is not alone! That said, i don't use mine every day, and they're usually fairly short journeys when I do, and and I've not had any battery issues either. I do occasionally (every few months, when i remember!) give it an overnight charge, just to keep on top of things. Best to see how it fits in with your use pattern, and then decide how to take it forward.
Yeah it is my 1st car of this type - it’s a daily driver (though I’ll be avoiding short hops in it) which should help keep the battery topped up. Just had it out for a good 2 hrs and boot has been working, stopped at petrol station - 10 min drive home and it’s not working so would point to the battery discharge I guess. As the dealer are the ones who’ve run it to almost empty I will be taking it back for them to diagnose and sort.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post