History check

Jaguar F-Type Order Forum
Purplecat

Post by Purplecat »

I had my MOT done at Halfords, mainly because I could wait and watch them do it . Was OK but when I reviewed my dashcam footage I could hear them talking, one said this is a 5.0 V8, the guy doing the MOT replied yes but its a Jag will probably break down during the test :roll: - well it didnt! :)
2019 F-Type 5.0 V8 R AWD Coupe Silicon Silver

Steveglenlee

Post by Steveglenlee »

I don't mean to sound rude, but why would you let Halfords MOT your car??
MY17 F type R V8 AWD in Dark Sapphire
Kev

Post by Kev »

All MoT stations have to have a viewing area available for you to watch the test being done. The tester will be on a lot more money that the ‘normal’ mechanics as they’re an asset to any garage, not because of looking to fail cars, but bringing the cars in to the business. Before the system went computerised and all the timings were logged (there was also a minimum time to perform the test), there used to be someone doing the test and someone else writing the certificates up with the cars just being pumped through. There was a lot of furore from the ‘back street’ garages as this computerisation harmed their income somewhat. I was a Snap-On Tool Franchisee at the back end of the 90’s…

A man from the Ministry could be sitting outside in their car, logged on to the system to see how long the test took, see when it finished then go and examine the car which had passed or failed. A few garages were caught out like this and the consequences severe

You can also take your car to a Council workshop where they do taxis, public service vehicles etc. as the test is unbiased with no interest in looking for work but you will pay the full recommended price
MY18 V6S AWD P400 Santorini Black
MY16 V6S AWD British Racing Green (Rejected)
scm

Post by scm »

Steveglenlee wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:25 pm I don't mean to sound rude, but why would you let Halfords MOT your car??
i let Halfords MOT my car during lockdown as i could book a specific time, take it in and hang around watching while they did it. The tech seemed very competent and even asked if I'd swap it for his BMW M3! Naturally, I declined. Normally, I let my trusted independent do it with the annual service, so if it fails I can say he didn't service it properly!
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Purplecat

Post by Purplecat »

Steveglenlee wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:25 pm I don't mean to sound rude, but why would you let Halfords MOT your car??
Why not? an MOT is an MOT cost £30 - its not as if they are working on the car - just checking it. Was serviced at main dealer but MOT was due a month before service was due. At least I could book a specific time and watch them. MOT stations do have viewing areas but most want you to leave the car with them so unless you can book a specific time who wants to sit around for hours!
2019 F-Type 5.0 V8 R AWD Coupe Silicon Silver
Phil UK

Post by Phil UK »

Appreciate the replies, thanks for the information.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Purplecat wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:31 am
Why not? an MOT is an MOT cost £30 - its not as if they are working on the car - just checking it. Was serviced at main dealer but MOT was due a month before service was due. At least I could book a specific time and watch them. MOT stations do have viewing areas but most want you to leave the car with them so unless you can book a specific time who wants to sit around for hours!
Fully agree - they do it at a good price (free if you join the motoring club). in most locations it's actually Auto Centres which is a separate operating division and you can watch without issue in my local branch.
I's not like it's the Saturday junior in the shop doing it, but rather well trained MOT technicians.
Never had any issue with using them across multiple cars.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Phil UK

Post by Phil UK »

Thanks everyone!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post