Frost has hit!

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
Rikochet

Post by Rikochet »

scm wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:08 pm Remote start it via the app - then it's nice and toasty warm when you get in it. Or Gummi Pflege on the seals? The worst thing I found was that the mirrors freeze folded in - on my previous XKR I could disable the auto fold function when the weather got cold to avoid that situation, no such luck on the F-Type, it's a dealer setting.
That's a shame about the folding mirrors. I used to disable that in winter on my old car and would have thought it was user configurable.

Any tips on avoiding damage to mirrors when unlocking? I'm thinking some tepid temperature (at most) water poured over prior should help?
2020 (MY21) F-Type R Coupe
British Racing Green

MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Windows stuck frozen is the only issue I'd be a bit worried about, especially since remote start is disabled in my neck of the woods. I park my car out in the cold extremely rarely but in case I'd ever end up with frozen windows I keep a small spray bottle of de-icer in the boot since you can always at least access the boot even if things are frozen.
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
Rowlo

Post by Rowlo »

Hi everyone, hoping for a bit of advice, first time owner of an F-Type and the first winter....!

I spent over 30 minutes trying to get into the drivers door this morning, but it just wouldn't budge! I gave up and took my sons ancient Toyota Auris to work instead!

I managed to get the door handle to pop out, also the window to drop down, but the door wouldn't open, and I didn't want to yank on the handle too hard (broke my merc one last year!). I also poured warm water on all the seals so I think they were free.

I tried the door again after work, but still no joy, potentially because it had re-frozen.

Any idea why the door might not be opening? Could the actual locking mechanism be frozen? Sorry, I know nothing about cars and my husband is working away!

Thank you!
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 V6 R-Dynamic
2018, Convertible, Ultra Blue
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Rowlo wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:10 pm Hi everyone, hoping for a bit of advice, first time owner of an F-Type and the first winter....!

I spent over 30 minutes trying to get into the drivers door this morning, but it just wouldn't budge! I gave up and took my sons ancient Toyota Auris to work instead!

I managed to get the door handle to pop out, also the window to drop down, but the door wouldn't open, and I didn't want to yank on the handle too hard (broke my merc one last year!). I also poured warm water on all the seals so I think they were free.

I tried the door again after work, but still no joy, potentially because it had re-frozen.

Any idea why the door might not be opening? Could the actual locking mechanism be frozen? Sorry, I know nothing about cars and my husband is working away!

Thank you!
Welcome! This seems to be a common issue. Yes it sounds like the locking mechanism or something else inside has frozen. If you manage to open it the next issue may be that you can't close it properly. Hopefully someone else will be along with advice on how to thaw it. As amazing as the F-Types are in so many ways they're just not the ideal car to leave out in freezing weather.
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
scm

Post by scm »

Major Tom has got it right - I've had it happen to my previous 3 Jags and the only reason it hasn't yet happened to my F-Type is that I don't have to use it in the cold early mornings any more! AS Tom says, once open it may not want to shut - I've driven to work (short distance!) holding the door shut until it finally agrees to do the right thing! Not sure what the answer is, though, apart from using something on the door seals and lubing the door mechanism.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

scm wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:24 pm Major Tom has got it right - I've had it happen to my previous 3 Jags and the only reason it hasn't yet happened to my F-Type is that I don't have to use it in the cold early mornings any more! AS Tom says, once open it may not want to shut - I've driven to work (short distance!) holding the door shut until it finally agrees to do the right thing! Not sure what the answer is, though, apart from using something on the door seals and lubing the door mechanism.
The answer is a warm garage. ;)
Elibomrod

Post by Elibomrod »

I got fed up too so bought one of these half car covers
Also fits over mirrors too.

Would recommend - pretty inexpensive

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255638580376 ... media=COPY

Wanted half so doesn’t rub the paint too much.
Doesn’t completely cover the boot when fitted
2017 V6 S AWD in silver
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Mine was covered in frost and ice this morning. So I cheated and worked from home!

Remote start for about 20 min is enough to defrost the windows enough so they drop. The door handles I would not use water. I have done this once before and the water froze in the mechanism and then they wouldn't close presumably due to frozen ice inside.

I was thinking of something like this...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255638580376 ... uCEALw_wcB

But didn't bother in the end.
400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

Hi Rowlo,

In the past I've had similar problems, windows stuck, door won't open, then won't close again afterwards.

The best solution, as mentioned above, is to remote start the car via the app., which allows the interior to warm up and defrost everything properly.

I've also treated the rubber door seals with Gummi Pflege, which also seems to help.

I wouldn't pour warm water over anything. It will only freeze quickly and make things worse!

If all else fails, maybe try very gently and slowly heating round the door handle with a hair dryer?
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

Looks like I am working from home again today!

PXL_20231130_074722167.jpg

400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black