Cyber Truck

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

Am I the only one who just doesn't get it ?

Good specs I suppose if you want to upgrade your Nissan Navara.

But looks like something drawn by a 6 year old in the 1980s ?

What's the excitement all about ?

scm

Post by scm »

Stupid people are always excited by Electric Jesus.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

I haven't got any argument with electric...there's a time and a place for it. But I just can't get excited about this design.
jagseven

Post by jagseven »

I must be odd but I rather like the cyber truck (hated it when I first saw it but now I want one!)
2019MY F-Type SVR - for fun
2019MY F-Pace SVR - for family duties
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

If it looked nothing like it does and had a big loud petrol engine it would be alright.
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

From an engineering perspective it is a very impressive piece of kit... but man is it ugly.

I do get why they did it though, it stands out and appeals to a certain type of person. It's like the Lamborghini of pick-up trucks (think 70's-90's Lambo). An outrageous appearance that stands out from a crowd and appeals to the inner child of those that like to be seen - and in this case not heard... see what I did there?
Ultimately though, the market for these things is the same market as Model S and X buyers. You won't get many of the usual truck buyer types looking at them, but there will be plenty on the driveways of the silicon valley bro's.
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
Duvetday

Post by Duvetday »

stefan9107 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:36 pm From an engineering perspective it is a very impressive piece of kit... but man is it ugly.

I do get why they did it though, it stands out and appeals to a certain type of person. It's like the Lamborghini of pick-up trucks (think 70's-90's Lambo). An outrageous appearance that stands out from a crowd and appeals to the inner child of those that like to be seen - and in this case not heard... see what I did there?
Ultimately though, the market for these things is the same market as Model S and X buyers. You won't get many of the usual truck buyer types looking at them, but there will be plenty on the driveways of the silicon valley bro's.
Yep..to me if it contained all ther tech, specs and engineering, but looked more like a typical truck I think they would steal the whole market. The way it looks just seems an indulgence on the part of Tesla.
lledwoc

Post by lledwoc »

The design is 'challenging', I can't see many folks outside of the Coasts buying this as opposed to 'truck guys' and contractors that make up a large part of the market.

That being said, if large fleets crunch the numbers and TCO is lower there could be big orders placed. On top of that, if it becomes part of popular culture and a must have luxury good; like Canada Goose coats or G-Wagons it may do well overall.

The launch event did a massive disservice to the product development team and mentioned nothing about a lot of impressive innovations. In house cell & 800v battery, first steer by wire system, first 48v low voltage architecture, use of mega-castings over ladder frame chassis and the torsional rigidity therein as well as the next gen infotainment software which is near if not on par with iOS.

Regardless of whether the product itself is successful, it's been a fantastic development bed for technologies that will keep Tesla ahead in the EV space for years to come.
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

lledwoc wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:18 pm The design is 'challenging', I can't see many folks outside of the Coasts buying this as opposed to 'truck guys' and contractors that make up a large part of the market.

That being said, if large fleets crunch the numbers and TCO is lower there could be big orders placed. On top of that, if it becomes part of popular culture and a must have luxury good; like Canada Goose coats or G-Wagons it may do well overall.

The launch event did a massive disservice to the product development team and mentioned nothing about a lot of impressive innovations. In house cell & 800v battery, first steer by wire system, first 48v low voltage architecture, use of mega-castings over ladder frame chassis and the torsional rigidity therein as well as the next gen infotainment software which is near if not on par with iOS.

Regardless of whether the product itself is successful, it's been a fantastic development bed for technologies that will keep Tesla ahead in the EV space for years to come.
I think it's already part of popular culture, but as a luxury good that starts at $80,000 and looks the way it does... it's definitely not selling in the volumes Elon is talking about (125,000 a year rising to 250,000). Maybe back when he was quoting a starting price of $40k but even then it's a big stretch.
Especially given what EV's represent to the stereotypical truck buyer. They certainly aren't big on them for multiple reasons and companies like Ford are already seeing that the demand just isn't there and are pivoting back away from full EV back toward hybrid at the very least. Working class users will baulk at the price and truck bro's want their loud lifted Raptor V8's.

As you've said, a lot of great innovations and a great example of what could be done... but I suspect a lot of other manufacturers just look at it and go "well that's not making us money if we made it".
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
scm

Post by scm »

John Cadogan's take on it. Skip to 4:30 to avoid the VPN pitch.

MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post