Low Front Number Plate Mounting

Anything F-Type related......
DJ Alcove

Post by DJ Alcove »

Hi,

How I got my low front plate look:

(I couldn’t wait long enough to order from the US a Sto N Sho, which looks like the ideal solution)

• Bought 3M VHB 5952 Adhesive Tape (from a popular online retailer).
    Bought three Powder-coated Steel Angle brackets (H)55mm (W)70mm (L)70mm (from a popular DIY store).
  • Removed old plate and mount from crossbar (three screws, looked factory fit), few holes that can get spot repaired.

IMG_6825.jpeg

• Stuck the tape on the brackets (if you look at it as an L then on top of the horizontal to stick up under the splitter, and on the left / outside of the vertical to stick the plate to).
  • Stuck the brackets to the underside of the front splitter (where the Sto N Sho would bolt to; as there’s an existing bolt I put the middle bracket to the right of this).

IMG_6834.jpeg

• Stuck the plate to the front of the bracket.
A really easy job, a bit too DIY for a car so nice but it’ll do me for now and I think looks pretty decent for only costing about 20 quid, feels stuck on surprisingly solid.

IMG_6836.jpeg

Sits a centimetre or so higher than the sacrificial road scraper (excuse the state of it, she lived the single-track life in the hills of Wales before I took her on) so hoping the clearance is fine, I’ve put it lower than where the Sto N Sho seems to sit.

IMG_6839.jpeg

Bonus picture of the back plate as well, short, middle and high, in line with the lights. And yes I know the tailpipes are disgracefully dirty, they are next on the list to sort :D.

IMG_6838.jpeg

Thanks for reading :)

BobHarrington

Post by BobHarrington »

Looks good, I do like a short front number plate, with a short or no backing plate.

IMG_7545.jpeg

Tom Sawyer

Post by Tom Sawyer »

BobHarrington wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:20 am Looks good, I do like a short front number plate, with a short or no backing plate.
Mine has no mounting plate so is held on with Gorilla tape………although it’s never fallen off, it won’t lie flat against the cross-bar, out of interest what tape did you use?
V8S
Lunar Grey
Viezu Upper Pulley & Remap
596bhp
587lbs/ft / 796Nm
BobHarrington

Post by BobHarrington »

Hi Tom, no tape. Cut & plastic welded old backing plate, then refitted.

IMG_7544.jpeg

BobHarrington

Post by BobHarrington »

And Tom, I much prefer a full size rear number plate, although I know I’m in a minority here.

IMG_2604.jpeg

Tom Sawyer

Post by Tom Sawyer »

BobHarrington wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:45 pm Hi Tom, no tape. Cut & plastic welded old backing plate, then refitted.
That looks very tidy, had me fooled 😁
V8S
Lunar Grey
Viezu Upper Pulley & Remap
596bhp
587lbs/ft / 796Nm
DJ Alcove

Post by DJ Alcove »

BobHarrington wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:20 am Looks good, I do like a short front number plate, with a short or no backing plate.
Thanks Bob.

Yeah I definitely like the OEM look you and others like @cj10jeeper have achieved with a cut & shut mounting plate, or even just the more minimal stuck on look similar to @xz4… but I wanted to get it off the crossbar and free the grill :)

Appreciate everyone having previously shared experiences and photos as its been great to see the options before trying anything myself.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Show n stow is a great product. Seen it used a lot in the uk in sports card.
I just wanted to keep my spoiler and splitter area clear. Couldn’t hide all the carbon with a plate. :)

Cut and shut the backing plate was an easy to do option

IMG_0711.jpeg

2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
DJ Alcove

Post by DJ Alcove »

cj10jeeper wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:38 pm Show n stow is a great product. Seen it used a lot in the uk in sports card.
I just wanted to keep my spoiler and splitter area clear. Couldn’t hide all the carbon with a plate. :)

Cut and shut the backing plate was an easy to do option

IMG_0711.jpeg
If my splitter was as nice as that I wouldn’t want to hide it either :)

I think we all agree they look best with no front plate at all
BobHarrington

Post by BobHarrington »

I like what this guy has done on you tube.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post