Wet air filters

Anything F-Type related......
elugelab

Post by elugelab »

Unfortunately got a check engine light recently and down on power. No limp mode, just not nearly as quick as it should be, and not blipping the throttle on downshifts etc.

Read the codes and have the following, showing something up with one of the MAFs. I'm checking the battery etc to make sure it isn't that, but presuming it isn't that, any ideas on what you'd replace? I'll check the wiring / connectors etc but if I was replacing MAF, which one would it be for circuit B?
Last edited by elugelab on Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY16 IRR V8R RWD Coupe
BMW F31 340i

elugelab

Post by elugelab »

PXL_20231208_110956115.jpg

PXL_20231208_110959618.jpg

PXL_20231208_111002581.jpg

PXL_20231208_111006645.jpg

MY16 IRR V8R RWD Coupe
BMW F31 340i
simpleR

Post by simpleR »

400 Sport AWD - MY18 - Black
elugelab

Post by elugelab »

So to update on this, the car got worse and worse. Ended up trailering it to Tom Lenthall, and they got back ot say that the air filters had got wet at some point and broken up, and were being sucked up the air intake, getting caught in the throttle body.

Sounds like no lasting damage identified but v interesting. I haven't driven through any floods so slightly nervous about how it happened!

Interested to hear if anyone else has ever had the same. Might get borescope into the cylinders in to check nothing bad has happened.
MY16 IRR V8R RWD Coupe
BMW F31 340i
Deleted User 4828

Post by Deleted User 4828 »

You can look the code up on that TOPDON 400 i.e. the P115 & PUOBE code, but I guess you knew that. I would have gone straight for the air filters.

I'm not surprised really that it is the air filters, they are a pain to change and you do have to buy the two and they are in no way symmetrical so you have to have the LHD & RHD ones. The hardest thing to change is always the least done!

Can't think off the top of my head why water would be in there, the 'B' side is that the passenger side? If so that would be the side probably going through more wet puddles on side of the road than the driver's side. But then again maybe the filter box had not been closed properly allowing water in. I take it was only the B filter that was breaking down.?
elugelab

Post by elugelab »

Clymout wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:48 am You can look the code up on that TOPDON 400 i.e. the P115 & PUOBE code, but I guess you knew that. I would have gone straight for the air filters.

I'm not surprised really that it is the air filters, they are a pain to change and you do have to buy the two and they are in no way symmetrical so you have to have the LHD & RHD ones. The hardest thing to change is always the least done!

Can't think off the top of my head why water would be in there, the 'B' side is that the passenger side? If so that would be the side probably going through more wet puddles on side of the road than the driver's side. But then again maybe the filter box had not been closed properly allowing water in. I take it was only the B filter that was breaking down.?
Thanks - not confirmed which one was breaking up but will find out. I just can't believe that the airboxes would allow puddle splash in by design, but stranger things have happened. Unless perhaps it was driven through deep water before my ownership and theyve only recently got to a point of breaking down from deterioration.

Will update once the final verdict is in.
MY16 IRR V8R RWD Coupe
BMW F31 340i
Deleted User 4828

Post by Deleted User 4828 »

Please do, it's the first occurrence of this I have heard. I recently had mine changed at a major service with no reported issues. The garage would have told me, as they do, if anything untoward was found.
paddy1000111

Post by paddy1000111 »

This happened to my friends f-type too. Check engine light, loss of power and wet air filters sucked up into the engine. I'm not sure if it could be jet washing? Since I heard about his filters I have been careful jet washing the intake grills on mine!
2016 V6S, Italian Racing Red, black trim kit. Regularly polished to perfection.
elugelab

Post by elugelab »

To update, Tom Lenthall have confirmed no other issues beyond the air filters. Intakes cleaned etc and the car is reportedly back to normal. Picking up next week.

I asked if they'd seen this before and they confirmed it was unusual, but not the first. Further, they thought that generally driving it a lot in wet weather couldn't help - not just going through deep water.

I've never washed the car since I bought it (!) so it isn't washing that has done it. I wonder if they were original filters and had just had one too many puddles since the car was built in 2016.

Now of course I'll be paranoid every time I drive it in the wet.
MY16 IRR V8R RWD Coupe
BMW F31 340i
elugelab

Post by elugelab »

Car is back and running perfectly. Good service as always from Tom Lenthall and team.

I suspect I'm going to be nervous about driving it in the heavier rain these days but will perhaps have the filters changed more regularly from hereon.

If anyone gets some weird losses of power and MAF fault codes, it'll be your air filters.... stop driving and get them replaced.
MY16 IRR V8R RWD Coupe
BMW F31 340i

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post