Boot Leak

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

I feel like I'm just moving from one problem to the next at the moment...

I've just had the issue where the centre console vent doesn't go up and down fixed under the approved used Jag retailer warranty, but now I've found the dreaded boot full of water.
I don't think the warranty will cover this one though as it specifically states that it does not cover "Bodywork, body seals, cosmetic finishes, glass, paintwork, trim, upholstery or
weather strips."

I noticed the back window fogging up a lot but put it down to a crack in the rear window that I need to get replaced (side note but I wonder if I can get autoglass to replace it with privacy glass under insurance without extra charge...)
I then noticed that the boot carpet was damp, especially on the left side and after pulling out the floor panels found this lovely puddle.

1.jpg

I found the main thread on where this leak comes from and how to fix it thanks to SHAGUAR viewtopic.php?t=3976&start=10

I've soaked up and cleaned it out as best as possible for now, but I'm sure there is plenty more rain on its way over the rest of winter so want to fix the issue for good tomorrow.
I'm assuming mine will be the same fix but just to be 100% sure, is it this piece that I need to remove in order to access the clips with the leaky o-rings?

4.jpg

Also, on a side note, I noticed that the previous owner left his Ctek quick attachment on the battery (actually helpful as I left mine on my Golf R when I sold it).

2.jpg

I seem to remember though that it shouldn't be connected up to the battery like this one is right? Isn't it meant to connect to the bus bar?
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire

Geetee68

Post by Geetee68 »

Hi. I can’t help with the leak, but as a recent owner I read a LOT on how to connect battery conditioners / chargers and the overriding information was to connect to the busbar. I fitted my CTEK to the busbar and earthed it to a bolt in the boot and it is working perfectly.
P380 AWD Caldera Red 2019 MY
68MBC

Post by 68MBC »

Regarding the leak, I found my boot flooded with around one inch of water a year ago, and after searching the origin I´ve found that mine comes from the two water drain pieces under the aileron. They are used to let the water drain through the boot door and they have some rubber sealing around them, which was not sealing anymore. I´ve removed them, applied silicone around and fitted them back, since them there is no more humidity in the boot. Also as a measure of extra safety, I´ve drilled a small hole in the lowest part of the plastic lining around the boot door mechanism, where water tends to accumulate and later drain into the boot.
P380 V6S Coupe RWD MY15
Grey Stone
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Re CTEK connection, Busbar connection is best option, can also leave the positive directly on the battery pole but (subject to cable length) move the negative to any suitable earth other than the negative battery pole.
MY21 P450AWD R Dynamic Coupe, Bluefire
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

68MBC wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:31 pm Regarding the leak, I found my boot flooded with around one inch of water a year ago, and after searching the origin I´ve found that mine comes from the two water drain pieces under the aileron. They are used to let the water drain through the boot door and they have some rubber sealing around them, which was not sealing anymore. I´ve removed them, applied silicone around and fitted them back, since them there is no more humidity in the boot. Also as a measure of extra safety, I´ve drilled a small hole in the lowest part of the plastic lining around the boot door mechanism, where water tends to accumulate and later drain into the boot.
Are you referring to these three holes here?

stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

Geetee68 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:39 pm Hi. I can’t help with the leak, but as a recent owner I read a LOT on how to connect battery conditioners / chargers and the overriding information was to connect to the busbar. I fitted my CTEK to the busbar and earthed it to a bolt in the boot and it is working perfectly.
MikeM wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:50 pm Re CTEK connection, Busbar connection is best option, can also leave the positive directly on the battery pole but (subject to cable length) move the negative to any suitable earth other than the negative battery pole.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
68MBC

Post by 68MBC »

No, they are on top of the boot lid, under the deployable wing, put it in manual mode and you´ll see them underneath, two big holes oval in shape, with a plastic tube leading to the other side of the boot lid and to the drains you mentioned.
Unfortunately I´m not at home to send you photos, will be later next week.
P380 V6S Coupe RWD MY15
Grey Stone
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

68MBC wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:42 pm No, they are on top of the boot lid, under the deployable wing, put it in manual mode and you´ll see them underneath, two big holes oval in shape, with a plastic tube leading to the other side of the boot lid and to the drains you mentioned.
Unfortunately I´m not at home to send you photos, will be later next week.
No worries, I'll take a look tomorrow. I think I know where you mean. Thanks for your help.
Elibomrod

Post by Elibomrod »

viewtopic.php?t=6845

Try this…I had a leak and Jaguar had forgotten to fit a bung!
Also def a small leak where the panels met

Small amount of silicone and a bung and been fine ever since
2017 V6 S AWD in silver
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

Elibomrod wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:33 pm viewtopic.php?t=6845

Try this…I had a leak and Jaguar had forgotten to fit a bung!
Also def a small leak where the panels met

Small amount of silicone and a bung and been fine ever since
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye out when I take it apart to see if the bungs are in.

Out of interest, what did you use to stick the the trim back in place when you were done?
It looks like there was some kind of adhesive as well as the usual clips.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post