Boot Leak

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Elibomrod

Post by Elibomrod »

Hello, I used this: (I’m recall seeing a recommendation on a forum, may have been this one)

3M™ Black Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive, 08008

Is odd but very effective to apply. Dries so fast.
I used small 1/2” artists paint brush to apply to trim but you have to do in one stroke otherwise pulls the adhesive. Then same to body. Def use masking tape on body to get clean line and pull off as soon as you have applied with brush. (I’d recommend trying it first on some scrap plastic/card)
It’s like a contact adhesive…so let tacky and then push two sides together. I did on my own but would have been loads easier with two..
2017 V6 S AWD in silver

Elibomrod

Post by Elibomrod »

Ooo to get the masking tape line…dry fit the parts, then apply the tape flush with edge.
Then pivot trim up from top edge (I.e. boot hinge) and apply glue

You might find pops out the fixing at the top but goes back in easily
2017 V6 S AWD in silver
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

Thanks for the tips.

As I don't have any of the adhesive at the moment I decided to start with pulling the boot apart today...
Elibomrod wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:33 pm viewtopic.php?t=6845

Try this…I had a leak and Jaguar had forgotten to fit a bung!
Also def a small leak where the panels met

Small amount of silicone and a bung and been fine ever since
I could see the bungs from below without taking the channel trim pieces off so I know both of those are there.
68MBC wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:42 pm No, they are on top of the boot lid, under the deployable wing, put it in manual mode and you´ll see them underneath, two big holes oval in shape, with a plastic tube leading to the other side of the boot lid and to the drains you mentioned.
Unfortunately I´m not at home to send you photos, will be later next week.
I'm still none the wiser as to these plastic tubes under the spoiler.
I assume you mean the holes pictured below, but on mine it's pretty much just a straight through (as you can see from the above and below picture) at which point the water drains via the channel where the three holes are on the section around the washer refill cap. I tested all three of those holes and water goes in and comes out under the car and as far as I can tell nothing goes into the boot unless its pooling somewhere.

20240107_112306.jpg

20240107_112315.jpg

20240107_112324.jpg

After doing some water testing I found that one, just ONE of the white clips was leaking on the passenger left side of the car.

20240107_122448.jpg

This would make sense as that side is the side that was damp and showed signs of a leak, but I have a really hard time accepting that one of those clips leaking resulted in that much water in the boot... although we have had A LOT of rain recently and who knows how long that puddle has been there.
From where the water was landing though, it would have to take this route to get into the boot.

20240107_134854.jpg

I then took it for a spin and when I got back the boot had water in it again (it wasn't raining or wet out). I thought maybe it had come from the rear washer as I used windscreen washer, but after trying it with the car stationary on the drive there was no water I could find from anywhere. I'm not sure where the tube runs that goes to the windscreen either as I couldn't find it. So unless the washer pump/system behaves differently when in motion or with the engine on I can only assume this is residual water from the area under the battery that I can't get under to soak up. I did fly around some roundabouts so it would have sloshed side to side. I should also mention it didn't smell like washer fluid.

Either way, for now I've sealed all of the white clips up from below with silicon on both sides and hopefully that'll stop the leaking.
I've left all the panels and flooring out to monitor it, but of course there is no rain scheduled for a week or more. I'll give the silicon a chance to dry today and tonight and then I'll hit it with the hose tomorrow and see what happens I guess.

I did also find a random unconnected cable if anyone knows what this does/where it goes?

20240107_134122.jpg

F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
scm

Post by scm »

The random unconnected cable is used for transportation when the car being delivered to the dealer. Nothing to worry about there!
Regarding the washers, there's a reservoir at the front that gets topped up from the main one at the back,so might be worth checking that.
MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
Kev

Post by Kev »

The inside of the locking wheel nut is somewhat rusty too, so I’d be suspecting water has also been pooling in here. You should be able to see signs of where the water has been tracking down/from. You can buy ultrasonic sniffers to hunt leaks on cars

Perhaps the water which appeared after your drive had been pooled in the drain channels and the vehicle motion ‘emptied’ them? Do you have an airline to blow down the tubes/channels?
MY18 V6S AWD P400 Santorini Black
MY16 V6S AWD British Racing Green (Rejected)
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

scm wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:42 pm The random unconnected cable is used for transportation when the car being delivered to the dealer. Nothing to worry about there!
Regarding the washers, there's a reservoir at the front that gets topped up from the main one at the back,so might be worth checking that.
Thanks for the detail.

I can't see the washer line anywhere in the boot so I have to assume it takes a path around the edge by the wheel well. I'm "fairly" confident this isn't the source of the water which means it must just of been that one leaking clip which is crazy.
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

Kev wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:49 pm The inside of the locking wheel nut is somewhat rusty too, so I’d be suspecting water has also been pooling in here. You should be able to see signs of where the water has been tracking down/from. You can buy ultrasonic sniffers to hunt leaks on cars

Perhaps the water which appeared after your drive had been pooled in the drain channels and the vehicle motion ‘emptied’ them? Do you have an airline to blow down the tubes/channels?
No airline unfortunately. I'm definitely leaning towards it just being pooled water that moved about so hopefully it'll dry out and the sealant will have stopped the leak.

As far as signs of where the water has been running, there really isn't any. No streak marks or anything anywhere. The only thing I found was that one drip, and like you the fact the locking wheel nut was rusty. It makes sense as where the leak was and where the path the water is taking would lead right to it as shown in the above photos. The colour of the water also makes me think it might have been there a decent while.

The position and original signs of the leak were identical to the ones Gareth found and photographed below.
GARETH wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:08 pm Not stopped raining today so only a quick look. Here’s the puddle!

68MBC

Post by 68MBC »

Yes, you found them, these two plastic holes were responsible for my leak:

They are supposed to seal on the metal bodywork, but they were not, and water was pooling in the plastic trim underneath the metal boot lid and when full will leak into the boot. So I have drilled an extra hole there to make sure it doesn´t pool again and it will drain to outside. I´ve removed those two plastic pieces from below and applied a bit of silicone where they are supposed to seal on the metal sheet, and since then the humidity in the trunk has vanished.

Drain.jpg

P380 V6S Coupe RWD MY15
Grey Stone
68MBC

Post by 68MBC »

From your description of finding water again when not raining but after a trip, it looks like you have water pooled into the plastic under-trim of the boot lid, it acts like a bucket and holds water, when you open the boot lid it might drip on your head from above. As I said, I just drilled a hole in the lowest position to drain it outside.
P380 V6S Coupe RWD MY15
Grey Stone
68MBC

Post by 68MBC »

My situation was way worse then yours, I had my fuse box totally submerged and I had to dismantle everything, battery, cables, fuse box, clean and dry, replace rusted bolts and fuses etc. Luckily nothing needed replacement.
P380 V6S Coupe RWD MY15
Grey Stone

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post