Boot Leak

Technical Advice, Faults and How-To Information.
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

I'm going to tackle this myself this week, as we have a few dry days (albeit a bit cold). I have long noticed a drip and line of water coming from the LHS roof airbag area when washing the car and took a look under the boot tubs the other day to find a pool of water (not deep enough to really cause a concern to components, but it certainly shouldn't have been there.

The 3M glue that is mentioned a few posts earlier doesn't seem to be readily available in the UK (at least 2 sites I checked specifically stated that it was not for export outside of the USA), so I've ordered up some clear sealant and double-sided tape

The sealant is GRANVILLE GV0374 Silicone Sealant, 40 g, Clear
The tape is Scotch-Fix Exterior Mounting Tape 411-1950-P

I'll report back once it's done and I've washed the car, looking for the tell-tale run of water on the horizontal surface behind the LHS seat
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)

stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

Cluck wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:59 am I'm going to tackle this myself this week, as we have a few dry days (albeit a bit cold). I have long noticed a drip and line of water coming from the LHS roof airbag area when washing the car and took a look under the boot tubs the other day to find a pool of water (not deep enough to really cause a concern to components, but it certainly shouldn't have been there.

The 3M glue that is mentioned a few posts earlier doesn't seem to be readily available in the UK (at least 2 sites I checked specifically stated that it was not for export outside of the USA), so I've ordered up some clear sealant and double-sided tape

The sealant is GRANVILLE GV0374 Silicone Sealant, 40 g, Clear
The tape is Scotch-Fix Exterior Mounting Tape 411-1950-P

I'll report back once it's done and I've washed the car, looking for the tell-tale run of water on the horizontal surface behind the LHS seat
From what I've seen of all the threads and from looking at mine for leaks, it depends which of the studs is leaking.
I don't have the roof airbag leak like others, but if you do I believe this is the specific point of interest for you (picture taken from another thread).

I'd still do some testing as it might be more than one, or just clean, refit and seal all of them for piece of mind whilst you have it apart.
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

Yup, I get a leak from there at the very least. Since that one looks like a bit of a ball-ache to get to, without pulling that rubber strip out, I figure I might as well seal all of those plug points, check that the large gasket is present (somebody mentioned that theirs was missing entirely - it's the oval shaped gasket just above the two circles in the above picture), reattach the rubber strip and cross my fingers that it solves the problem. As far as I can tell, the leak is only coming from the left side. As per my sig, mine is a MY21 so it's not something that Jag 'fixed' with experience of earlier problems, it looks more like a simple quality control problem.
MY21 F-Type P450 R Dynamic in Portofino Blue, Black Exterior Pack, Performance Seats, Suede headlining (with Blur as support act)
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

Did this job this morning so I've just got to let everything 'set' and then I'll see what happens the next time I wash the car. I think I found the main culprit though. In the photo in the above post, the plastic gutter trim was on the outside of the rubber piece that goes along the edge of the roof panel, where it should have been tucked in the middle of it. As such, it was running straight behind the 'gutter' plastic and, combined with those fairly poor seals, it was running into the car. It might not be the cause, but it certainly won't have been helping.
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

Cluck wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:22 pm Did this job this morning so I've just got to let everything 'set' and then I'll see what happens the next time I wash the car. I think I found the main culprit though. In the photo in the above post, the plastic gutter trim was on the outside of the rubber piece that goes along the edge of the roof panel, where it should have been tucked in the middle of it. As such, it was running straight behind the 'gutter' plastic and, combined with those fairly poor seals, it was running into the car. It might not be the cause, but it certainly won't have been helping.
You mean this bit here?

CDB24DC6-2706-4A78-9394-9C27D420B17D.jpeg

Cluck

Post by Cluck »

Yes, but only at the point within the red circle in that previously posted image. It was sitting within the rubber strip on the driver's side (RHS) but sitting over it on the passenger side, the side where water was getting in.
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

Cluck wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:03 pm Yes, but only at the point within the red circle in that previously posted image. It was sitting within the rubber strip on the driver's side (RHS) but sitting over it on the passenger side, the side where water was getting in.
Interesting. I didn't notice anything amiss with mine but I'll take a look just in case. Thanks for the update.
RPSN

Post by RPSN »

68MBC wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:31 pm Regarding the leak, I found my boot flooded with around one inch of water a year ago, and after searching the origin I´ve found that mine comes from the two water drain pieces under the aileron. They are used to let the water drain through the boot door and they have some rubber sealing around them, which was not sealing anymore. I´ve removed them, applied silicone around and fitted them back, since them there is no more humidity in the boot.
stefan9107 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:27 pm I assume you mean the holes pictured below, but on mine it's pretty much just a straight through
The rear deployable spoiler drain plug photo that stefan9107 posted (1st pic below) shows the drain plug rubber seal fitting onto the outside of the tailgate plastic trim and the drain hole is closer to the bump stop. However, on mine the rubber seal goes inside the plastic trim and the drain hole is further away from the bump stop (2nd pic below).

It looks like mine have been incorrectly fitted at some point?

Can anyone else confirm or post a photo showing which way their rear deployable spoiler drain plugs are fitted?

TIA

1.jpg

2.JPG

2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid
Cluck

Post by Cluck »

^^^ FWIW, mine are fitted like yours RSPN

drainsssss.jpg

RPSN

Post by RPSN »

Cluck wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:22 am ^^^ FWIW, mine are fitted like yours RSPN
Thanks Cluck.

Although the drain hole position on yours is the same as mine (further away from the bump stop) I can also see that the drain plug rubber seal fits to the outside of the tailgate plastic trim (mine currently goes inside it) so I’ll do the same. There does appear to be a mark on mine where the rubber seal was fitted the same way as yours at some point in the past.
2016MY V6S Coupe RWD Auto 380PS Supercharged
Rhodium Silver
Panoramic Glass Roof
Sports Seats (heated) in Jet Leather
Seat Memory Pack 2 (14x14 way)
Powered Tailgate (open & close)
Reverse Park Camera with Guidance
Front Parking Aid

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post