40 odd years difference in technology!

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
Deleted User 4828

Post by Deleted User 4828 »

My 1980 Triumph TR7 next to the Jag, love driving both. Why I bought the Jag in the coupe, already had a drop head lol

Old & New tech.JPG

Geetee68

Post by Geetee68 »

That’s a blast from the past. Many years ago I had a yellow fixed head with webasto sunroof DMD877V, and after that a Bordeaux red convertible SJO524X (can still remember the reg numbers). I’m not so practical. Got a BMW Z4 E85 2.5si convertible from 2007, and a convertible FType.
P380 AWD Caldera Red 2019 MY
Deleted User 4828

Nice buddy. My TR7 has never been welded, it was ziebarted from new. It's still the orinal paint. Mind you a few bits of surface corrosion are starting to appear, but I am a little loathed to start on it, as it's only original once. As the car is now it is an honest car. Had quite a few 7's in my time, I did look at the Z4 about 10 years ago, I quite liked the look of them, but really needed a four door!
Geetee68

Post by Geetee68 »

That’s impressive at 40 years plus. I’d also struggle with doing any paint as it’s so original. Collectors pieces now. Can’t remember the last time I saw one. Always loved the E85 shape so bought it after the first lockdown as an escape, and have spent a fair bit on it but it’s now mint. Like the F type, I still look back at it after I’ve parked up. Different cars, the Z4 is normally aspirated so feels old school which I like. The F type is something else though. Happy motoring.
Purplecat

Post by Purplecat »

At the end of the TR7 production run I can remember being at a car auction in Brighouse, West Yorkshire. 4 unregistered convertible TR7's (TR8) with the rover V8 engines in them went through the auction. Out of my range at the time though Im afraid
2019 F-Type 5.0 V8 R AWD Coupe Silicon Silver
Moss

Post by Moss »

The TR7 wears its colour well. One of the nicest I’ve seen.
It’s a bit too modern for me though - I keep looking for the “right” TR6…. one with no transistors 😂
SVR Coupe in Ammonite.
Deleted User 4828

Geetee68 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:58 pm That’s impressive at 40 years plus. I’d also struggle with doing any paint as it’s so original. Collectors pieces now. Can’t remember the last time I saw one. Always loved the E85 shape so bought it after the first lockdown as an escape, and have spent a fair bit on it but it’s now mint. Like the F type, I still look back at it after I’ve parked up. Different cars, the Z4 is normally aspirated so feels old school which I like. The F type is something else though. Happy motoring.
Cheers, I find now that people have a little more interest in the TR7 and draws in a younger crowd too which is great! Less mickey-taking haha! I drove it the other day as I had replaced front wheel bearings, the number of people waving as I ambled by, I got a little worried by it so I stopped in the nearest safe place to see if the car was on fire LOL.

People used to say to me that their dad had a TR7, now they tend to say their Grandad had one!

I find in the TR & the Jag people do let you out more than I have experienced with other cars which does make for a better motoring experience. Even bikers have a recognised respect for the cars, if I may say.
Geetee68

Post by Geetee68 »

You’re right with it getting the right kind of attention. I have no idea why but the Z4 is the opposite and I tend to get people pull out in front of me, and have even had odd people try getting me wet by putting their washers on when in front of me. I’m not an aggressive driver, never get close to the car in front, and don’t even drive it overly fast (unless on my own with no other cars around) so I don’t understand it. I only got the Jag at the end of 2023 but have never had a car get so many positive comments.
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Geetee68 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:28 pm You’re right with it getting the right kind of attention. I have no idea why but the Z4 is the opposite and I tend to get people pull out in front of me, and have even had odd people try getting me wet by putting their washers on when in front of me. I’m not an aggressive driver, never get close to the car in front, and don’t even drive it overly fast (unless on my own with no other cars around) so I don’t understand it. I only got the Jag at the end of 2023 but have never had a car get so many positive comments.
Agree. When I had a Z4 for many years people never let me out, but in the F Type I rarely wit to pull out into traffic.
Interestingly when parked up both got/get plently of attention, perhaps slightly more in the F Type.
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
Deleted User 4828

Moss wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:44 am The TR7 wears its colour well. One of the nicest I’ve seen.
It’s a bit too modern for me though - I keep looking for the “right” TR6…. one with no transistors 😂
Thank you for that, but you wouldn't say that on a closer inspection. "No transistors"! love it! TR6 are great cars but a bit before my time as is the Stag too.

Cheers!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post