Drove a Jaguar XKR for the First Time !

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

The Jaguar XKR was (and still is) my dream Jaguar and when I learnt that it was no longer in production being replaced by the F type (this was before the FT was launched), I was devastated.

Today I finally drove sleek Maroon 2013 XKR and wow, this car lived up to all my expectations.

It's the lovechild of a Lexus and F Type !

Where the F Type is too hard, wide, difficult to see over the bonnet and get in and flop out of the drivers seat as it being too low, the XKR is the antithesis.

These are fundamentally two different cars with the FT being a hard sports car and the XK a GT.
If it were practical, I'd own both

11 years later, the XK (like the FT) is still a head turner.
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Absolutely love the XKR too. Some 10 years ago in my XF days I twice had the pleasure to get a brand new XKR as a loaner and that car just blew my mind. To me it always felt a bit like an X250 XF coupé... same interior tech, steering wheel, gearbox, drive train etc and just as comfy on the motorway but much more sporty and of course looking even better.

It feels perfect engine wise too. I was never a fan of the concept of that V8 in the F-Type but in the XK it's just a perfect match.

All in all it's still an amazing car. Funnily enough this particular car that I enjoyed so much 10 years ago is now for sale since quite a while. Loads of miles on it now and seems to be in a bit of a sad state cosmetically these days but if I had the space and time I might have bought it and fixed it up. Looked great when it was new anyway. :)

63.JPG

10.JPG

MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
Deleted User 4828

Post by Deleted User 4828 »

It's still a great looking car and doesn't look that aged. I noticed the spill over on internals to the F-Type! The door controls and seats t'boot. Same seats as I have in my F-Type and I bet the pedals are the same too.
scm

Post by scm »

Here's a shot of my Kyanite Blue (fantastic colour!) 2010 XKR on the day I test drove it. The Black x100 XKR is what I arrived in!

dsc_3717_800.jpg

MY18 F-Type V8 R AWD in Glacier White
Lots of leather and toys, and loads of noise!
santoshlv426

Post by santoshlv426 »

I would love to own one.
Cant believe im enamored by a 11 year old car !
F Type 5.0L V8 RWD 2016
Rhodium Silver

MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Clymout wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:58 am It's still a great looking car and doesn't look that aged. I noticed the spill over on internals to the F-Type! The door controls and seats t'boot. Same seats as I have in my F-Type and I bet the pedals are the same too.
Yep! Same seat controls and the late XKRs seemed to have the same performance seats as the early F-Types. Pedals, steering column bits and stalks also are the same IIRC.
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
Lux37

Post by Lux37 »

I really enjoyed my circa 5 years experience of owning a XKR and IMHO is still looks good today,despite its age.
A pure cruiser it was great in a straight line and was very comfortable despite the interior becoming a bit dated.Push it round a corner in the cold or wet though and you soon learnt who was boss!A very different drive to the F-Type V8 which I find can be a cruiser as well as being more forgiving if pushed hard on the twisty bits.
I think the XKR is a great value for experiencing a V8,mechanically quite bullet proof and is potentially a future classic

20200728_185947.jpg

2017 SVR Convertible,Caldera Red
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Lux37 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:02 pm I really enjoyed my circa 5 years experience of owning a XKR and IMHO is still looks good today,despite its age.
A pure cruiser it was great in a straight line and was very comfortable despite the interior becoming a bit dated.Push it round a corner in the cold or wet though and you soon learnt who was boss!A very different drive to the F-Type V8 which I find can be a cruiser as well as being more forgiving if pushed hard on the twisty bits.
I think the XKR is a great value for experiencing a V8,mechanically quite bullet proof and is potentially a future classic20200728_185947.jpg
Wow, that's a stunning looking one! Quite some Aston vibes in that spec.
Lux37

Post by Lux37 »

They do call it a cheap man's Aston!
It was a really clean example,so much so that the mechanic who worked on it for 4 years asked me to contact him if I ever wanted to sell it.When the time came to move on to an F-Type (the mechanic did tell me that I was making mistake as he did not rate the drive or reliability against the XKR)he sent round a lovely local couple who bought it on the spot without a test drive.Still keep track of the MOT history,how sad am I!
2017 SVR Convertible,Caldera Red
Moss

Post by Moss »

Drove 45,000 trouble-free miles in this beaut….
The soft spot remains and often regret selling. Whoever bought it next got a fantastic car.

DSC_0127.jpeg

SVR Coupe in Ammonite.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post