你好 from Hong Kong!

New to the F-Type Forum? Please introduce yourself here
Deleted User 4828

Post by Deleted User 4828 »

You are welcome, attacking a ramp at an angle can sometimes help, but I have scraped my bottom valance a few times, I think that part is at least sacrificial so long as you don't go in too hard!

Dabk

Post by Dabk »

Thanks Clymout - yes I have a feeling that the sacrificial valance will be the first of many..

On the windscreen front - I received an outrageous quote from JLR HK: HKD$53,000 (roughly £5,300) 🤯

They’re quoting £300 for each retainer - which I’ve found online for £20… safe to say I won’t be taking them up on their offer and will be looking elsewhere. Hopefully I don’t encounter issues with the sensors as was mentioned above.

IMG_4658.jpeg

NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

Remind the fitter not to turn on the ignition while all the sensors etc. are disconnected!
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D
Eclipse83

Post by Eclipse83 »

Welcome to the forum!

I too like the colour of that wrap :geek: .
| MY15 | V6S Coupe | RWD | Italian Racing Red | Perf. Seats & Wheel | Pano Roof |
Deleted User 4828

That price in GBP is near 5.5K GBP Holy mother of ***
Dabk

Post by Dabk »

NavigatorNI wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:28 pm Remind the fitter not to turn on the ignition while all the sensors etc. are disconnected!
Thanks for the advice! Will let the fitters know.

I had a pre-purchase inspection done last week before picking up the car and it didn't return any DTCs regarding the windscreen. Will scan again after fitting.
Eclipse83 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:35 pm Welcome to the forum!

I too like the colour of that wrap :geek: .
Thanks!
Clymout wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:57 pm That price in GBP is near 5.5K GBP Holy mother of ***
My thoughts exactly! Not the best way to start a relationship with my main dealer..

I have found a local reputable shop that will fit an OEM windscreen for 10% of that price... seems too good to be true at the moment but I'll see tomorrow when I bring it down. They have replaced windscreens on much newer, more luxurious cars so I believe they know what they're doing. Will report back!
Deleted User 4828

Good luck with it, as matey said above ensure they don't start the car when replacing sensors, but as you say they have done far more luxurious cars, I'd be pretty confident they know what they are doing too.
Dabk

Post by Dabk »

Well, it couldn't have gone much worse.

The windscreen was installed today. As I got into the car to drive it off, I noticed that the rearview mirror casing wasn't clipped back in properly and there appeared to be wires protruding from the casing. I then noticed what appeared to be black paint filling in 'holes' in the black coating which is applied to the windscreen. I touched this and WET PAINT came off onto my fingers. I immediately backed it back into the shop to figure out what was going on.

IMG_4705.jpeg

The mirror casing was barely clipped into place and just fell off:

IMG_4713.jpeg

Turns out they installed the wrong windscreen. I believe the one they installed is a 2018-2020 heated windscreen, which has a much larger 'black coated' section to house the larger rearview mirror casings (that housed more sensors) in the later cars, as well as the black 'dots'. My 2016 has the smaller casing and isn't heated.

The screen I should have gotten (2016 - not heated)

IMG_4720.JPG

The screen they installed (2018-2020 heated)

IMG_4719.JPG

The cowboy that performed the installation didn't speak a word of English, which made the whole ordeal so much more stressful. I got the boss on the phone and he got the guy to remove the paint reinstall the mirror correctly, however given that the mirror on the newer cars sits about 1-2cm lower on the windscreen, there is now a gap between the roof lining and the mirror casing. I also have these unsightly 'holes' in the black coating at the top of the screen and the unnecessary black dots which means my dash cam has to sit further forward than it should.

03F66A5E-EA20-42AD-81EA-2DCCD3B83B21 2.jpg

I am waiting to hear back on whether they are able to source the correct windscreen - however I will try and find somewhere more competent to install the correct one.

Current state of affairs:

IMG_4714.jpeg

Furthermore, the pleb actually started the car whilst the mirror (and the accompanying sensors) were unplugged. I'd literally just asked them not to turn the ignition on whilst the sensors were unplugged... Fortunately, my car doesn't appear to have the automatic wipers option (no 'auto' indicator on the stalk) and I double checked this by sprinkling water on the windscreen before getting it changed. I tested the automatic headlight sensor this evening by holding a flashlight into the sensor and fortunately it worked (by turning off the headlights). Insane to think that their previous customers include Urus and new S-class owners.

:(
Deleted User 4828

I would get them to do it again with the right windscreen. Poor installer probably was told just to fit it! That will only cost you time, but hindsight is a wonderful thing, if you do get them to fit it, check the one they will be fitting. Even if you find another source to fit.

Hope it all ends well.
NavigatorNI

Post by NavigatorNI »

I feel your pain.

As per previous reply, I would get them to refit the correct one. The danger of going elsewhere is that, if there are subsequent problems, each installer will blame the other one. If I were you, I would persist with the original installer until he gets it right. In my case, I reckon my installer used, in one way or another, 4 screens before I was happy. I, obviously, only paid for one. If you go elsewhere, you will have to pay all over again, with no guarantee your other installer will be any better.

In my case the installer was one of the national chains, approved by my insurance company, so it just goes to show you can have hassle anywhere!
V6S Coupé, RWD, MY16
Salsa Red
20" Turbine silver alloys
Lots of extras
Lots of noise
Lots of smiles :D :D :D