Sand Job

Non F-Type related topics... Have a look inside!
JKFTYPE

Post by JKFTYPE »

An F-off roader! Very good, haha!

One thing - Jezza's car has quite a whine from the supercharger (I presume). I can't say I notice the supercharger noise in mine. Is his broken or is mine? Ha!

adrianw65

Post by adrianw65 »

I thought the same thing about the supercharger whine, made me think of mad max. I wonder if changing the air filters increased the noise. Would interesting to see what mods they made to the f type under the hood
F type R RWD 2014
Grey Car = Grey Bloke
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Yes that was quite some supercharger whine. As you say, could be connected to air filter mods.

Impressive how well it seemed to hold up with seemingly no issues with any components despite it being the RWD S with the adaptive dampers and LSD and all. Maybe more bits than the OEM wheels are made to Land Rover spec which certainly helps in conditions like that.

At first I thought he'd just fitted an identical bonnet as Jaguar's own F-Type rally car had.

MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
stefan9107

Post by stefan9107 »

It was pretty cool seeing the F-Type and the beating it took happily and without fuss. Reiterates what a great car they are.

SPOILERS BELOW:

As for the episode itself... with most of the more recent ones I just feel like the scripting ruins it a bit.
The drag strip that suddenly wasn't, the minefield, the snowmobiles etc. It's all in good fun but I just miss the old days where they genuinely just messed about and had a bit of a laugh as friends and we were along for the ride. I don't need any big set pieces, just a bit of banter and some fun with cars in interesting places. It's pretty much been the story since they went to Amazon though. It's almost like they had too much money and didn't know what to do with it. Sometimes the scripting does work, like Carnage a Trois, that was hilarious. But for the past however many years it's mostly just been the odd bit of a fun here and there with a bunch of fake "O no... a river we didn't know existed!", "O no... I forgot to put the handbrake on at the top of this massive hill!" moments.

It's been great fun watching them these past 20+ years and there are some great memories of great episodes - from random stupid challenges and messing about to some amazing car reviews by Clarkson (V12 Vantage springs to mind), but I definitely think it's time to call it a day (which it sounds like they have). I just hope they go out on a high for that last episode.
F-Type R Coupe AWD (MY2016) - Dark Sapphire
jonm

Post by jonm »

Agree with the above, the magic seems gone, I struggle to work out why, the format is the same and it was always loosely scripted. Maybe their just not enjoying it anymore, its not exciting for them anymore, their just doing it because their fans want them to.
Still I enjoyed watching it though, best thing I've seen on TV for a long time, it's all relative based on their early specials which were magic.
My16 F-Type V6 340
mono-uk

Post by mono-uk »

I would love that supercharger whine, Im guessing its the modifications to the air filers and pipework he had to do
Current: Black MY16 V8R AWD F-Type Convertible, Blade wheels, Exterior Black Pack
Previous: Black MY15 V6S F-Type Convertible, Blade wheels
adrianw65

Post by adrianw65 »

I agree the format is past its sell by date. What would intetest me is an episode behind the scenes. In particular on the support team that build and fix these cars. Some of technical repairs and comebacks are amazing
F type R RWD 2014
Grey Car = Grey Bloke
cj10jeeper

Post by cj10jeeper »

Very enjoyable and pleased I managed to avoid this thread until I’d seen it, otherwise a bit like recordings the F1 and hearing the winner without having had time to watch it..

Great to see an early model V6S up against much more expensive, albeit older kit and come out on top, but that’s scripted too.
I’d love to be able to have a Mad Max inlet switch to add the supercharger whine to the awesome V6 howl, all on demand :)

I don’t mind the set up scripting as their world has evolved and todays audiences aren’t interested in just 3 date expired guys driving A-B
One I’ll watch again for sure
2014 MY 3.0 V6S Roadster
Subtle enhancements to create the car I wanted from SVR nose cone, 400 series side skirts & customised 'design' rear bumper, to heated SVR steering wheel and more
MajorTom

Post by MajorTom »

Clarkson's comments on which was the best car in the sand job. :D

https://www.facebook.com/reel/903810538109337
MY18 V6S R-Dynamic coupé RWD with about every toy and option you could get
BRG, design black pack, 20" carbon blades, pano, full Sienna tan interior with performance seats...
Webarno

Post by Webarno »

MajorTom wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:30 pm Clarkson's comments on which was the best car in the sand job. :D

https://www.facebook.com/reel/903810538109337
“Probably the best car I’ve ever owned”

Big statement there considering the eclectic range of cars he’s driven/owned!
MY15 V6 S Coupe Stratus Grey
Essex